Monday, December 10, 2012

The Village



It was just a little over a week ago
when my daughter told Paige,
"Isn't there something you need to ask Grandma?"

"Yes"
she replied.
"Grandma, do you have a Village?",
she asked excitedly.

Well...I knew where that was going . . .


I don't even remember the last time I dragged my Dickens Village pieces out;
evidently a lot longer than I imagined
as the grandchildren have no memory of seeing this.
Paige has seen a village set up in some store
& thought it was amazing.
And that is when Karen came up with the bright idea to have her ask me about it.
She knew I couldn't turn down that snaggle toothed smile!


For several years, pieces to this set was what I requested for Christmas.
I remember going to our local gift shop & trying to decide which piece I would ask for.
I loved them all!


I've never had a good display area, so over the years, I just left them packed away
in their boxes, thinking I would "gift" them away someday.
Finally, I figured out how to hide their cords & place them on different levels.
Hubby actually even got involved in setting it up, helping me figure out how to get it all plugged in.


The Whittlesbourne Church
is one of my favorite pieces.
It's so old England...& I can imagine attending
Christmas services in this grand building.


Hidden behind the tree is "Fagen's Hideaway".
It makes me want to belt out in song . . .
(only if no one else is around)
~
"I'm reviewing the situation!
Can a fella be a villain all his life?
All the trials and tribulations...
better settle down and get myself a wife!"
And a wife would cook and sew for me,
And come for me, and go for me,
The fingers, she will wag at me.
The money she will take me.

A misery, she'll make from me...  
I think I"d better think it out again!"

(Anyone else an "Oliver" fan?)

Now we may have a new tradition
until I tire of packing & unpacking these pieces.

What the kids don't know is...
Grandpa has a Snow Village that he used 
to display in his car shop.
It has a 50's diner, a Coca Cola Building,
a hospital, and several other piece.

Wouldn't the grandkids love that?
Maybe another year. . .

2 comments:

Karen Walden said...

So glad you drug it out for her! Maybe I'll have to put the boys up to asking Grandpa about his snow village someday!

Jenny said...

A lady at church had her village set up and Arilynn was enthralled with it. I remember when I was little, I liked looking at all the details of villages, too.