Monday, July 30, 2012

Cheesecake!

 My ears perked up early this morning when I heard my local DJ say
"It's National Cheesecake Day"!
Yuuummmm!
Good thing I had already had my breakfast
or I might have had to raid the freezer for slice of heaven.




I'll never forget my first taste of cheesecake.
It was on one of those Sunday afternoons 
when my cousin Olga & I begged her Mom
to let me go home with them for Sunday dinner.
Well, maybe we didn't have to beg.
We loved taking turns going home with each other on Sunday's
& it must have been my time to go to her house.

What we had for Sunday dinner is not a memory for me.
Except the dessert.
Cousin Carlene asked if I had ever had "cheesecake".
Noooo...I answered, with apprehension as I am not a big cheese lover,
thinking it might be some kind of pie 
with grated cheese baked in it.
I wasn't too thrilled with the idea.

Being too bashful (oh, I've outgrown that phase!),
I accepted the slice of cheese/pie
which happened to be topped with sugared strawberries.
Well, you can imagine my delight at my first taste of  "real" cheesecake.
This was the authentic, the kind you bake in the oven 
in a waterbath cheesecake,
not the cheesecake in a mix.
And it was heaven.


My daughter and two granddaughters have developed a love for the dessert too.
Karen prefers hers plain or the "creme brulee" flavor from our favorite place to have a slice. The rest of us don't seem to care, just so it's cheesecake.

It is probably a good thing the nearest Cheesecake Factory is over 33 miles from here.
I seldom go there, but if I am in the area & it's a special occasion,
Cheescake Factory is my choice for lunch.
But I have discovered that I can race down the hill,
just a mile away,
& in the freezer case at our local Sam's Club
is a variety of cheesecakes.
There are usually ate least one or two
in my deep freezer waiting for company.
Or me.
No wonder I waddle!

Have I made you hungry yet?
It's mid-morning & I'm already thinking of reasons I need
to check my freezer to see what I'm having for dessert tonight.
Join me for a slice & let's celebrate
National Cheesecake Day!
Yum!



6 comments:

Vanessa Froelich said...

I LOVE cheesecake! One of my favorite desserts.

You are making me very hungry! Ha!

Cheryl @ The Farmer's Daughter said...

I love cheesecake, too, Sheila! My mother never made authentic cheesecake so when I had my first taste of it, I thought it was the most wonderful dessert ever!
Now, I'm going to be looking for some 'real' cheesecake. Have a great day!

Patty (Patty's Pretty Things) said...

There was a store many years ago in Cincinnati that had the best cheesecake - childhood memories. It was Shillito's.

Beauty Follower said...

I would love a slice of this cake!

Pamela said...

I love the cheesecake factory. The only problem is that I can never decide which one to eat. I think they should have a sampler plate!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Cheesecake is such a great dessert that when I was married we served it, instead of wedding cake at my wedding!! Then we had leftovers and it took me awhile to love cheesecake again. Sometimes too much of a good thing is too much. Joni