Monday, August 15, 2011

Days of "Firsts"


She was 5 years old & so excited to begin her school years.
I would just as soon kept her at home!
But it was time to untie those apron strings...just a little bit
and let her venture out and discover the
wonderful world of knowledge.
She survived with flying colors.
And Mommy adjusted to not having her at home
during those school hours.


Too quickly, time came for our little boy to join her...
leaving just a little too soon to suit me.
He was 4, not having his 5th birthday until the end of November.
He too did very well, with both of our children finishing
their school work 1 year early.
If I had it to do over, I just might slow them down a little bit.
But slowing down was not in their plans, however.


Somewhere when I wasn't looking,
time passed by me too quickly.
Educations were achieved.
Romances happened.
Marriage vows were taken.
Grandbabies were born.
Those grandbabies grew up into grandchildren,
with some of them reaching school age before I knew it.

And this week,
the final three
will attend their first day of school.
All three are so excited...with the twins having their "first" today,
and our "baby" of the family going for his tomorrow.

More "firsts" will be coming our way in the next few years.


And I am loving all of them!

My Grandchildren...Karen's kids
Peyton (K) Parker (3rd) Paige (K)

My Grandchildren...Jeff's kids
Carter (2nd) Brycen (K) Kerrigan (6th)


4 comments:

Carol said...

I can't believe the babies are all in school this year! My baby will be starting his sophomore year of high school tomorrow. I'm sure I'll blink my eyes and they'll all be married!

Karen Walden said...

Ok, that made me a little teary! I did just fine dropping them off on their first day, but somehow I always tear up reading your blog! I've had enough "firsts" for a while now though.

Cheryl @ The Farmer's Daughter said...

It's so hard to believe that summer is almost over and it's time for school! You have cute g'kids!

Pamela said...

I have a grandson beginning this year, too. The years go so fast -- it seems like just yesterday I watched him enter the world. And my baby begins college. So thankful I can trust them both to God's care.