Monday, June 27, 2011

My Garden of Weedin'

Summer slipped up on me
and I was in a mess.
Our kitchen remodel kept my attention,
back when it was time for me to be outdoors.
Then a knee problem came along and I was in trouble.
I kept waiting, wanting to clear out my gardens
but it never happened.
Thankfully, we were able to get help.


In one day, these two guys cleared out my gardens
and got everything back in shape.
Hubby had hauled in a dump truck load of mulch,
and another day, these two toted it around
and my flower gardens looked beautiful!
I was impressed at how hard they worked.
I am so thankful for my sister-in-law
sharing her helpers with me.


Endless Summer hydrangea
and Martha Washington geranium-on my front porch


New pots of annuals around my fountain
and cleaned out landscaping in the front yard.
Purple Palace heuchera's (coral bells) were mostly taken out.



Side garden, along driveway-
Easter lily, planted last year & just now blooming-
Aztec Gold hosta


Side yard garden
with wagon full of plants to be potted
(which I finally accomplished on Saturday!)
Lucifer ( I can't think of the botanical name at the moment...)
and a little hosta that I love.


White pines, some of which lost their tops
this past winter in our ice storm-
salvia-
Jolly Bee perennial geranium-
if you don't have this plant, I highly recommend it! -
and a view of the patio/sidewalk garden.


My overgrown gazebo garden

I almost pulled up the yellow flower this spring!
A variegated leaf came up that I didn't remember planting
and I almost jerked it up.  A few days later, I noticed buds
on it so decided it could stay until it bloomed.
I'm not sure what it is, but glad I didn't dig it up.

Raspberry monardo or bee balm--
and way too many Shasta Daisys!


Daylilies
I have had the mauve colored one for years but do not know it's name-
the middle one is Grapette-
and the yellow one is unknown.
I guess I need to start keeping my plant tags...


and oak leaf hydrangeas-
They love my back yard!


For now, things are looking beautiful around here
and I am enjoying getting outdoors once again.
There has been so much rain this season,
it has been hard to get lawn chores done.

One phrase of an old Beatles song keeps going through my mind...

"I get by with a little help from my friends"

and that is what I may need to do from now on...
enlist some help.

(And no...I don't need to get high with a little help from my friends!"
Hehe....

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm jealous of your flowers!!! :) Does this mean Miss Paige is about ready?

Sheila said...

Anytime, Jenny! Maybe we should take advantage before the weeds grow back!

Flat Creek Farm said...

I second that hehe on the Beatles tune! ;) I love love love your beautiful garden. We had horrible winds last night. One of my favorite big trees.. down and gone. All I've accomplished all day is cleaning up, after working so hard on the yard yesterday. And it did look great yesterday! But, we're so thankful it wasn't worse. And I still have my beloved perennials.. so far! Enjoyed visiting yours - just gorgeous! -Tammy

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Wow!!! Your gardens and home are gorgeous.. I need to be out on the East side of the house working now while the temps are cool enough to allow it, but here I sit..lol
hugs ~lynne~

Cheryl @ The Farmer's Daughter said...

Sheila, your gardens and flowers are beautiful! Mine are looking pretty good, but it's either too hot or raining to work like I want to. I just went to Home Depot today and got a couple more coreopsis and a few supertunias. I have a spot where I need something yellow and the supertunias are to replace some petunias that have died out in the pots. I was surprised to see how much stuff they had left. Glad your knee problem is better and you're able to get outside. Take care.

Deserae said...

Your gardens are beautiful!!!! We could use a little rain....things are starting to turn a little brown :o( For some reason my Geraniums aren't doing so good this year?!? I simply do not have a green thumb! LOL
~Des