Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Cousins

Long ago, there were 3 little girls born within the same family circle.
It was 1949...and their roots ran deep in the Fulkerson clan.
They were...& still are 1st cousins!

Cherie, Sheila & Luana
about 3 years old

I grew up in the small little Missouri town where our Mom's & Dad's were from,
while job opportunities took aunts & uncles in other directions.
It was Grandma's hometown also, so through the years, family
members would gather for holidays, summer vacations, hunting trips,
or just times to be together.
My family always enjoyed the benefits of living where Grandma did
and our house was used for beds when the crowd was very large.
We loved it when company was coming!


For a couple of years, Luana & her family moved to Hallville
and we were so excited to be in the same classroom.
Cherie & her family lived in St. Joseph, Missouri.


We all three married at a young age & began our families.
Luana & I both lived in the Kansas City area & before our babies
came along, spent a lot of weekends together.
And we would all get together when it came family reunion time.

Last October, I made a trip to visit my sister in Kansas & we
had a lunch date with our cousins.
As usual, I invited Cherie to come see me sometime.
She told me that she was going to surprise me and really come...

and she did!
Early in May, Luana & Cherie caught a flight to Indiana
and spent six days with us.
You can tell by the above photo that we had a great time!
Luana & her family had been here many times before,
but in almost 44 years,
it was the first time that Cherie had ever been in our home.



On a cold, damp, blustery day, we traveled through the rolling hills
of southern Indiana, to Stream Cliff Farm,
one of my favorite places to take my out of town guests.
But this day was almost unbearably chilly
& we skipped the opportunity to walk through the gardens.


We had lunch in Twigs & Sprigs Tea Room


and I had their delicious Verbena Lemonade!


We browsed through the shops & snapped silly photos of each other.


The next day warmed up a bit & we traveled west to Nashville...
Indiana that is--picturesque Brown County.
Luana & Cherie met up with this old geezer right away.


Nashville is full of all kinds of shops
but I took them to some of my favorites.


Lunch was at The Hob Knob where I neglected to shoot a picture!

And that evening we walked out back to Bob's car shop
and let him show off his cars & memorabilia to Cherie.


Luana strutting her stuff in by the '57


Cherie drooling over the '67 Vette.


Lu getting frisky with Elvis!


Cherie flirting with our famous Hoosier, James Dean.
(There is no smoking in Bob's Car Shop--so he painted
out Jame's cigarette!)


All 3 of us trying to look like little girls.
(It didn't work!)


Family came to visit...Steve with his cousins...


Karen popped in for a little bit to say "hi"...


the sun came out & we walked around my yard to see what was blooming...


and Bob surprised Cherie with a fast ride in his Corvette!


See her yelling as they pull out of the driveway?


We had a wonderful few days together--
getting to really know each other--
sharing family tales
laughing until we had tears in our eyes--
sometimes sharing heartaches,
better understanding each other--
and promising to get together again.

We found out that none of us are Spring Chicks!
Luana has trouble with her feet & can't hear a lick..
causing Cherie & I to crack up when she would start
talking about something completely different than we were.
Cherie has had serious back problems & at one point
wasn't sure she could make the trip.
I have had knee problems & recently had to get a
cortizone shot in order to be able to climb my stairway.
So...we are thinking that maybe our next little get together
should be sooner than later.
Our "old lady-ness" caused lots of laughs.

All of our parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles are gone.
We, along with quite a few other cousins
are what is left.
And we aren't quite ready for the family circle to fade away.

Family...
that's what it is all about.

4 comments:

Vee said...

Ohhhh I just love this! What a sweet group of gals and I sure hope that you don't wait to get together so long next time.

I am in a little group of three. We were the bumper crop for our grandparents that year. February, August, and October. It was often said of our group that "two was company and three a crowd." It's not that way when we get together anymore and we don't do it nearly as often as I would like.

Cheryl @ The Farmer's Daughter said...

What a blessing to have loving cousins to visit with! Looks like you all had a grand time. I only have one cousin and usually only see him at a funeral! I hope you visit with your relatives whenever you can.

How's the weather out your way? It's been so rainy here in Missouri. A few storms in the area last night. Enough that lineman hubby had to work all night. Nothing like what Joplin had however. You've probably heard about the tornado that devastated the city and took many lives.

Take care and have a good week!

Pamela said...

What fun! In spite of all our friends we just need the closeness of family, complete with all the memories throughout the years. So happy you were able to have this special time.

Blessings,
Pamela

lulumusing said...

What a fun time and the stories you all must have told. I didn't know there was a Nashville, Indiana so I've learned something new. Stay in touch with those relatives. You are lucky to have them.
I always appreciate your stopping by. Xox