I was anxious to get rid of the almond appliances-
the country blue vinyl floor
and the "country" decor!
About 3 weeks ago, I decided I had lived with that dirty wallpaper long enough,
so the stripping began.
I was pretty sure there was another layer of wallpaper under there.
(Who knew we would live here so long?)
Not only was there another layer of wallpaper that had been painted over,
there were two layers of border that would only come off with steam!
I worked for days
steaming & stripping & scraping.
I began to plead with my Bob the builder,
telling him that this would be the perfect time to remodel.
I didn't even know where to start.
I knew I wanted a farmhouse sink,
so off I went to our local plumbing supply store,
pretty sure that I would be ordering a white sink.
Our sales lady quickly convinced me that "cane sugar" was the color
I needed as she had just what I wanted, already in their warehouse,
& at a bargain price.
And so it began.
Meanwhile, I knew in the back of my mind that I was going to have
company in early May. Discussing this one evening, Bob told me
that there was no way in the world that the kitchen
would be completed that soon.
I quickly responded by reminding him that he if he could do it for a client,
he could do it for me!
My two cousins were coming for a girl week,
one of them having never been here before, & I wasn't about to let her
see this mess! I did a little arm twisting/convincing/begging, and workers
crawled out of the woodwork! I knew with this economy that some of
these guys would be happy for a little extra work.
Notice the bulk head.
I knew the next hurdle would be the flooring.
My heart was sort of set on ceramic tile,
mostly because I knew we wouldn't be replacing the cabinets
and I didn't want the kitchen too dark.
Margie the floor expert was call & she soon arrived with a trunk load of samples.
My idea of ceramic was thrown out the window as we had a floor problem
& didn't want broken tiles.
Cork? Nope...I hated it.
Tile that looked like ceramic that was really vinyl? Noooooo....
Decision was made...and boxes of wooden flooring
are sitting in the middle of my family room at this moment.
Back to the bulk heads.
I had been wanting them out since 1993...
I remember because that's when I began buying Longaberger baskets
and really needed lots and lots of space to put them.
But Bob said there was plumbing in them from the upstairs bath
and it couldn't be done.
But someone else convinced him differently!
Margie (the floor expert/interior designer) said...
"Bob, why don't you take out those bulk heads as they
really are out of style. And that hood...it needs to be raised up!
It's way too low"
That's all it took.
So, after I steamed, stripped & scraped,
the bulk heads were torn out!
And guess what...
the plumbing wasn't down in the bulk head!
I could have had this look 18 years ago!
I am actually very thankful that it is happening now.
And this is our dining room...
two tables full of what was in our cabinets.
I can't believe I am showing you this mess...
but this is what happens when you remodel.
Mr. Drywaller & his assistants were here for a couple of days,
stirring up quite the dust.
Since the bulk heads were torn out & new drywall installed,
ceiling textures had to be blended...
...way into the family room
since there is no where to stop!
My family room was draped with plastic for a day or two
and still in quite the mess.
And this is my entryway.
Flocked, yes flocked!!! wallpaper
which has never been changed since we moved in here almost 32 years ago
and it is someone dirty, to say the least.
And it is two stories tall!
Bob & I had every intention of tackling this job ourselves.
Until I fell a few weeks ago & hurt my knee.
That's when I called the man that my friend had used..
(and she about "un-friended" me when I told her we would do it ourselves!...)
He is coming Monday
to strip the entryway wallpaper
and repaint the walls.
Might as well make another mess while we are at it!