Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Putzing...


Do you "putz"?
I have a friend from near Chicago & she is always talking
about "putzing" around.
I doubt that you will find the word in Webster's--
put I think I've been doing some of it myself!


Everything always seems so bare after the Christmas decorations are down.
One day found me in T J Maxx--which just happens to be
one of my very favorite places to pop into every few days--
(you never know what you might find!)
and I saw a display of storage stools.
Well, I'm not sure that is the correct decorators term for them,
but they do have storage & they are a stool!
Maybe bench would be a better word...


Anyway...
I loved the French script
but left the store without one as I wasn't quite sure
it would look right in my traditional home.
But I kept thinking about it-
found myself flopping down the back seats of my car-
grabbing a tape measure to make sure it would fit!
& off I went to bring one home.


I love it!
And I don't have a clue what the script is saying...
so please don't tell me if it is something inappropriate!

And then as I stood back & admired my "bench"
(that does sound better!)
I realized I needed something else to finish off my room.
Pottery Barn to the rescue!


Only when we first moved in our house over 31 years ago,
did we have window treatments at this triple door.
It was a heavy drapery that pulled to the left end
& mostly covered that section of window.
I didn't leave it up very many years.
Later I did have the lace valances that were the rage for a few years,
but they finally came down too.
Last winter I had used these draperies in our living room
& dining room re-do & fell in love with them.
For this room, I only got one panel for each side
as I didn't want to cover up the woodwork.
Now I think the room looks finished.
Finally...after all of these years!

So, no more putzing around for me.
At least not in the family room!

Hmmmm...
do I need new carpet?


Duponi silk drapery panels in Ivory from Pottery Barn
Cast Iron drapery rod from Pottery Barn
"Restrained Gold" paint from Sherwin Williams
(not as bright as it shows in the photos)

6 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Looks good! I thought those were on back order until April though! Glad it didn't take that long! I think those are what I need for my bedroom! I just need to save my money and get the good ones! I also don't have any up in my family room! Hmmmm....might need those too!

Sheila said...

I evidently ordered the wrong ones at first. Re-ordered & the rod was here in 3 days! You would love them. Check them out...

Beth Stetler said...

I love your doors and window treatments. The new bench is beautiful, too!

Angie Davis said...

The bench is beautiful, Sheila! I want one too!

Pat said...

That is a beautiful find, Sheila.

If you decide to go up to Michigan and see the lighthouses, be sure to check into taking one of Shepler's tours on the water, way up north. We had so much fun seeing all those lighthouses from the boat. It was a choppy water day, but we had a blast. We started out on the Huron side of the Mackinac Bridge and passed under the bridge to the Lake Michigan side. There was a decided change in temperature, just from "sailing" under the bridge. Anyway, it's well worth the boat ride and tour of lights.

Door County Wisconsin has some great lighthouses too and that would be a great road trip for you. I'd love to go back up there. It's a beautiful place and then you have the lighthouse bonus.:-)

Vee said...

Beautiful room! I saw that bench at T.J. Maxx, too. Only one and it was soon snagged. Very nice. Putz? Do I? Yes, I do.