Thursday, September 9, 2010

Paper Dolls

When I was a young girl, one of my very favorite things was paper dolls!
I think I loved cutting them out more than I did with playing with them.
But I did play with them...pretended they were pretty girls going to a party,
to school, to a wedding...whatever the occasion, I probably had a paper doll for it.
Many of our Friday nights were spent in Columbia and Mom would usually ask Dad to take her shopping before going to get groceries. Broadway held a multitude of shops but we were usually drawn to the "Dime Store". Mattingly's & Newberry's were not too far apart & we would head there first. Mom often went to the fabric department while I headed to the display of paper dolls. More often than not, Mom would let me buy a new booklet of them & I would be thrilled.


I remember spending many winter evenings with my box of paper dolls.
My very favorite ones were a booklet of a wedding party, pretty dresses for the bridesmaids, a beautiful gown for the bride, tuxedos for the groom & his men, & even a flower girl.
I also loved the set of The Lennon Sisters,
just like the one pictured at the top of the page.
And somehow I ended up with Janet Leigh, a pretty movie star at the time.

Over the years I have noticed that paper dolls have become a thing of the past.
About the only ones I have found, have been special ones, such as a set of First Ladies,
or Presidential families. Nothing like having a paper doll of the president in his undies!



Recently I ran across a set of Fancy Nancy paper dolls & bought them for Paige.
I laid it aside & she just noticed it last Sunday & brought it to me.
I cut out a few dresses for her but she didn't quite understand what to do with them.
I showed her how to dress Nancy & her friend, Bree.

For a little while, she was interested, then lost patience as she waited for me to finish snipping out a new outfit.


So tonight I decided to cut out more pieces & hopefully Paige will want to play with them. And as I sat here with my scissors in hand, my mind went back through all of those memories of myself as a little girl, cutting & snipping, carefully playing with my little paper dolls, & tucking them away in a shoebox.



The summer that I was 17 & our family was preparing to move away from our little town,
I found my paper dolls in the back of my closet. My collection had outgrown the shoe box over the years & were now stored in a large suit box. It was full of carefully cut paper dolls.


But we were moving & some things had to be left behind.
I remember thinking that I was being silly to even care about those little pieces of cardboard & paper as we threw them in the pile to be hauled away to the dump.


And after all of these years, I wish I would have kept them.
Then maybe I could have gotten them out & shown them to my little granddaughter
& we could have played paper dolls together!
I do hope she learns to love hers too.

5 comments:

Carol said...

As a little girl, mom would always talk about how much you loved paper dolls. I think I only liked them because I knew my big sis LOVED them. I was more into Barbies, riding my bike and keeping up with the neighbor boys. Great post, Sis!

Sherry said...

I loved paper dolls! Abby had some of those magnetic ones. I thinks she might have some paper ones now that I think about it.

Peggy B. said...

I loved paper dolls. I would even draw and design, color and cut out new clothes for them. It was so much fun.

Jenny said...

We had a Barbie and Ken set! Lots of fun.

The Farmer's Daughter said...

Wow, this brought back memories, Sheila! I remember the McCall's magazine had a paper doll...I think her name was Betsy?...I was always excited to add it to my collection when we ran across one.

Thanks for the memories. Have a good day! ~Cheryl