Friday, July 16, 2010

Chihuly at Cheekwood

When in Nashville, we always enjoying getting together with my nieces.

On Saturday afternoon I was able to spend a little time with Lorinda & Susan


In the past year, Lorinda has moved to Virginia, but just so happened to be visiting with her husband's family the same weekend that I was there. We made a point of getting together. I was especially excited about it as I had never met Katie, my great-niece! And since my nieces are fun loving girls, we spent a hot afternoon at Cheekwood Estate, touring the Botanical Gardens. It just so happened that the Chihuly Exhibit was in full swing & it was on my list of things I wanted to do while in Tennessee.
Lorinda & Little Katie

We got there just as the dining room was closing, so instead, enjoyed a light lunch on the patio. Katie was ready to eat & chowed down on her Mommy's fruit salad.

I'm sure little Katie was miserably hot, but she was a very good baby & endured the afternoon with the big people!

And thank you Susan, for being a member & having a family pass!

Inside the Visitor Services Center
"Macchia"
from the Italian word for "spotted"

The sculptures are large.
I should have had the girls stand in front of them for perspective.
Notice the huge fern!

And then it was back outdoors to do the walking tour through the gardens

Sisters Lorinda & Susan with Little Katie

Saffron Tower
Over 27 feet tall & weighs over 4,600 pounds!

Cattails
The orange color was striking!
And I noticed this purple plant all over Nashville...
but I don't remember the name of it.
Cattails & hibiscus

more cattails
near the Arbor
Hibiscus & marigolds

The Arbor walkway

Another lady thought these were hibiscus also


Crepe Myrtle
in full bloom all over the South!

"Fiori"
"Boat"
filled with glass
reflecting in one of the small ponds
"Walla Wallas"
resemble sweet onions!

Lower reflecting pond

middle reflecting pond full of Walla Wallas


"Bamboo Reeds"
some as tall as 10 feet

more Bamboo Reeds in with the real bamboo

"The Moon"

showing the blue disks on The Moon

pretty glass spheres in The Japanese Garden


More glass spheres


In a couple of hours, we made it about half way through the gardens.
The temperatures were well into the upper 90's & the humidity made it feel like it was well over 100 degrees. We decided that Little Katie & Grandma Sheila had seen enough for one day.
We had made it about half way.
And we didn't even get a glimpse of the Mansion.




I'm pretty sure this calls for another short trip--
next time with Bob & a couple of friends in tow!
And we are going to wait for a little cooler weather.


If you happen to be in the Nashville area, be sure Cheekwood is on your "to do"list! And on Thursday & Friday's there is "Chihuly Nights" which is probably amazing!

In our Visitor's Center window, hangs a beautiful yellow Chihuly chandelier.
Do you have any of his art work where you live?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like an awesome place!

Marilyn Mauck

A Peek Into My Life said...

Wow - that place looks gorgeous! They had an Chihuly exhibit at the Children's Museum for awhile. Now they still the large permanent sculpture (which needs dusting in the worst way!) :)

The Farmer's Daughter said...

Hello Sheila, what beautiful photos! This post and the last one makes me want to go to Tennessee. Haven't been there in ages.

How are your flowers doing? This heat is taking a toll on my flower pots. Is it just me or does it seem like the summers are getting hotter?

Have a good day! ~Cheryl

Moogie said...

I just happened upon your blog. And I am so glad I did. The photos of this garden are stunning. I live in Atlanta, that's not to far to make a trek.

I'm a new follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/