Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Blooms, blossoms & 4 tons of mulch!

If it only would look like this all of the time!
Last week Mr. Hubby took his dump truck to the mulch mountain
& came home with almost 4 tons of mulch!
We chose a steaming hot morning (they all are anymore!)
& began hauling.
Thank goodness we had help & by early afternoon the pile on my driveway was gone
& my flower beds looked weedless!

The stellas were spreading their yellow sunshine
& for the life of me, I can't remember the name of that purple flower.

The bed along the sidewalk just off of the back courtyard.
Just a few years ago this was lined with overgrown burning bush
& then planted with a beautiful baptisia that took over & had to be dug out.
I tend to over-plant & in a few years the beds are way too crowded.


The purple flowers in front are
Jolly Bee perennial geraniums.
They bloom all summer & take the afternoon heat.

Right now the courtyard needs some attention...
so no close up shots there.

Oakleaf hydrangea
planted near the back wooded area.
Last week they were at their peak.
Our recent 6 inches of rain has beaten off a lot of the petals.

So you can get an idea of how huge the blooms are

3 oakleafs were planted within the last 3 or 4 years
surrounded with yet to bloom daylilies


and they have a sweet fragrance

The north garage wall
We took out 2 red-twigged dogwoods as they were sprawling towards the driveway
& right in the way when loading the car trailer.
I like it better without them!
Endless Summer hydrangeas
& impatients
I'm not sure who my little iron lady is supposed to be.
Every year I think I won't use her...but there she is!
I like the small leafed hostas so have used a few of them along this wall.

I've learned to not prune my hydrangeas back until they leaf out in the spring.
Hydrangeas bloom on last years wood so never severely prune them in the late summer.

The blues are pretty
but I love the pinks!

More little hostas

The bed between my neighbor & me...
& the little chair Dad made for me one summer
My shade garden.
About the only shade we have, except for late afternoon.
I bought plants last Saturday & they are waiting to be put in the dirt.
It has been steamy, stormy & rainy here all week.
Today there was finally a break in the humidity
but it's supposedly headed our way again.
So, this non-early riser is going to have to drag herself out of bed in the morning & try to beat the heat to do some more gardening.
I love it...but sure don't move as fast as I used to!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

You do so well!! I'm almost embarrassed to try and put out flowers b/c I know you'll see them @ church! LOL!

Peggy B. said...

Mercy lady!! How many hours a week to you spend out in your garden? This is beautiful. Love it. Guess I'll have to be content to just not have weeds.

Sheila said...

I don't spend as much time as you would think! I take several days & clean the beds out each spring (had help this year!)put mulch down & try to keep up with it after that. When it isn't too hot, I get out & "dead head" in the evening. Most everything you see are perennials so I don't have to do much planting anymore....just thinning out! It's a passion... And Jenny, I love looking at other peoples flowers & I'll never laugh!