Wednesday, April 7, 2010

If It's Storming...It Must Be Spring!




We have had unseasonably warm weather the last few days here in Indiana. I actually saw 86 degrees on my car thermometer yesterday afternoon! Now, I'm not complaining...but everything is growing like it's the middle of June! It seemed like some of our trees blossomed overnight & some are almost through their peak color season. It's been beautiful!
I finally had to drag myself outside to begin cleaning out my flower beds. And that is always when I wonder why in the world I've done so much! This afternoon found me spending a little over 3 hours around the back patio & I was amazed at the difference just cutting back the dead winter foliage, hoeing out the weeds, & raking around the perennials made. Definitely worth the effort. But I've only made a dent in my monumental task...& my back is already aching!


I plan on moving a few things in the courtyard area. Last year was my first try at Knockout Roses & I see they are going to need more elbow room! And the older I get, the more I want to make this area more simple. Roundup & mulch to the rescue!

I've never been a bulb person but put a few out last fall.
And I love them!
I can definitely see more tulips in my future...
along with about a zillion daffodils!

I have two clusters of orange tulips out by the gazebo & they are gorgeous!

I don't remember the name of these...
but which I did as I need quite a few more.

At this very moment we are having a severe thunderstorm. I'm only hoping that the temperatures don't drop enough to hurt the early blooms. We may be in for a long, stormy Spring! Right now I'm drinking in the beauty of God's wonderful creations.

Spring...my favorite time of year.

Oh dear...Bob just read me the weather report & tomorrow night's low is supposed to be 35 degrees. I knew it....

Clipart courtesy of www.thegraphicsfairy.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Karen Walden said...

What are knockout roses? Someone at work mentioned those too!

Sheila said...

Knockout roses are the ones you see around town blooming all summer. They start blooming in spring, maybe May, & bloom all summer. And they don't take special care. Cathy C. bought me one last spring & I put 2 in the courtyard-which need moved. If you have enough sun, you might like them on the east side of your house!

Cheryl said...

what a beautiful home and courtyard you have! The weatherman here in mid-Missouri said it might frost tonight...sure hope not. That would surely hurt some of our spring flowering trees, etc.

You've gotten something started, I think! Those roses sound like something I might want to try this year, too. Actually, I've been wanting to try roses again. I've not had much luck with them in the past. Need to find just the right place for them.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Sorry to hear about your father, Sheila. We never get too old to miss our parents, do we?

Take care!
Cheryl

Tommie Jo said...

I love those blooms! And the purple/yellow combo is my favorite! The purple pot reminds me of my purple pot that I painted years ago...and still use!!! I love my purple pot! Maybe I should paint more...