Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Busyness of LIfe


The past few weeks have found me bustling around here with more things to do than I can seem to accomplish. And my list just keeps getting longer.
We have some rental property & thanks to the economy--or maybe just bad renters--we had two units become empty at once. I'm always flabbergasted at how filthy people can leave a place, and wonder about the dirt they evidently lived in. The past few days have found us painting, scrubbing, scouring, steaming (the floors!) & wondering if there is an end to it. I knew the time would eventually come for a wallpapered bath to have to be redone....& it's here. Much to my dismay, I discovered that at some distant time, I had wallpapered over wallpaper & now have to remove 2 layers of the horribly ugly stuff before we can even begin to paint in there. I always dread for renters to move out as we have found no one takes care of the place like we would our own home. I see several more days ahead of me working in there.
Of course we are having perfect weather & I would just love to stay home & get all of my flower beds cleaned out, weeded, mulched & ready for plantings once we get past the frost danger mark. I have managed to sneak in a few hours but have barely made a dent in my monumental chore.
And then I caused a huge mess when I hung one too many shirts to be ironed in my "ironing closet". Actually I was moving a few of my winter sweaters in beside the ironing & that caused the whole mess to come crashing down. So...it looks like whether I like it or not...I'm going to have to iron! I've been wanting different clothes rods in that closet & maybe a different shelf, but I wasn't ready to tackle the job quite yet.
So I won't be having time to dream sentimental dreams for a while & thought I should let the world know that I'm working hard at all the busyness that seems to have come my way recently. It takes us both longer to get our jobs done anymore...partly because we have become night owls & find it hard to crawl out of bed too early in the mornings. And it looks like we've done it again....it's already past midnight!
Hoping to find time for more sentimental journeys one of these days...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know people still ironed! You're Mom would be proud!

Marilyn

Cheryl said...

Well, put me in the "I iron" column, although no more than I have to. Some of my cotton tops/shirts just look better touched up.

I can relate to being much slower, it takes us 2 or 3 times as long to do things as it used to. Dang body just won't cooperate!

I'm home early from work tonight with a sore throat and chills. I managed to crawl out of bed to check on some blogs...am I addicted or what? LOL

Oh, about the wallpaper...you may know this already, but fabric softener and warm water in a spray bottle will loosen up the old paper and it peels off like a charm. Worked for us last year!

Have a good rest of the week!

Cheryl

Sheila said...

I'm from the "old school" & have to iron just about everything. When I lived in the KCCBS dorm, I used to do ironings for $1.25 an hour. Wish I could hire someone for that!

Sherry said...

UGH! My mom had a house in Michigan that Daniel had to clean after the renters moved out! It was nasty! It made us determine that we would never leave a mess and we never did even with 4 little kids!