Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Little Britches

A long, long time ago, there was a little red-headed mother that lovingly hand stitched her newborn baby boy a pair of overalls. Along with the little pants, she made a matching hat. The fabric could be flour sack material, the straps are accented in blue stitching with tiny with buttons, and the bib is embroidered "Bobby Gene".
Before our first baby was born, my mother-in-law gave me this little outfit. Her only request was that I would take a picture of our baby in the little overalls she had made for her "Bobby Gene", now my husband.

Somehow I didn't ever get an old photograph of Bob in his little britches, and I'm not sure one even exists. This afternoon I spent some time going through my old things, trying to find even one photograph of Bonnie with her babies. I'm sure there are some, but I don't have them.
This was taken when Bob was several months old & he probably had already outgrown the little overalls. Here he is with his big sister, Sherry, who was not quite 12 months older than him.
As promised, when Karen was just a few weeks old, I dressed her up in her daddy's britches & took her picture.

Here she is laying in her bed & she seems pretty happy about it. I think I played with her like she was my little doll. She was a live wire!
And here Jeff is, sporting the complete ensemble, just about to fall over sideways! Along with the little outfit, Jeff had auburn hair that made his red-headed Grandma very happy.

For quite a few years, the little pants & hat were packed away in my cedar chest. Then when our first grandchild came along, I thought of them & once again played with my "dolls" for a while.
Parker was the first to wear the little britches. He is just a few weeks old here.
Then Carter came along & I about forgot to snap my picture. As you can see, we had a little trouble in the diaper area! I almost didn't get him squeezed in the tiny pants.

Peyton was next. He didn't fill them out quite as much as Carter...or maybe I got the picture taken a little sooner.
Even Paige had to take her turn. If I would have left these photographs in color, you could see that all of our grandchildren, except Parker, have blue eyes.

Brycen, the baby of the bunch, didn't want to smile for Grandma. He too filled the overalls out in a matter of a few weeks.

Today I got the little pants & hat back out & was playing around with a shadow box, trying to get the pants, hat, & small photographs mounted as a collage. I'm thinking I just might need a bigger shadow box! This is a project I've had stashed away for quite a while & finally decided it was time to tackle it. I'm not quite happy with it yet. But at least you can see the little keepsake that I have.
By the way, the little outfit is over 61 years old now!

4 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Very neat! Those overalls are SO tiny in person! I can't imagine the tiny stitching that Grandma did!
Glad you did the pics in black and white! I remember Parker having on a Halloween shirt that was bright orange! :)

Sheila said...

Yes, there were too many colors going on so I decided on sepia. More vintage looking anyway! :)

Nettie's Nook said...

What a precious keepsake.. It is beautiful

Dorcas said...

I love this post, Sheila!! So neat!