Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Decorations of Red...


My heart tells me I need to decorate for Christmas,
if not for me, for my family.
Somehow I feel like I did a half way job this year.



It isn't as easy to drag out all of the storage boxes anymore.But I love the delight in the grandchildren's eyes when they first see something new that I've done since they were here last.

We used to put lights on our shrubbery & trees.
But the shrubs have become too big
& the Norway Spruce trees are almost as tall as our 2 story house.
We now settle for a cluttered up porch & a spot light on the front door!
This sled belonged to our children...
probably one of Jeff's Christmas presents of the past.
The white ice skates are mine.
They too were a Christmas gift many years ago
& skated me around the frozen ponds of Central Missouri.
The black skates are Bob's.
Rare antiques!
Years ago I bought a pre-lit garland at Heart & Home, one of my very favorite shops that is no longer there. After fighting the dark spots of burned out bulbs & stretches that refused to light, just last year I spent one evening unwinding lights from 5 strands of garland. The garland is very heavy & I'll probably always use it. I topped it with a garland of white berries, with white lights intertwined. Usually I fill the garland with picks of berries & poinsettias...but that bag never made it in the house this year. I'm enjoying the simple look. This huge fireplace is my decorating nightmare! It goes across one end of our family room, except for the area on each end where I now have glass shelving. At least the old buck stove is gone & we no longer have to stack wood in the kindle box! I'm also shopping for new glass doors as I hate the glare of the bright brass. You might know the firebox opening would be over sized! The mantel is just a hodge podge of country decorations


The old pottery piece used to be my Mom's sugar jar.


My new "restrained gold" paint seems a little bright in these pictures.
Bob about croaked when he heard me say that I wanted to paint the room "gold"! It really isn't as bright as it looks...I promise!

Several years ago I fell in love with the snowmen of artist
Sandy Gore Evans & my collection began.
Sandy lived near Wichita, Kansas & each year there was a special collector piece. Sandy was stricken with breast cancer & died a few years ago & the pieces are no longer made.

I also have several pieces of the Jim Shore snowmen & Santas.
These are fast becoming my favorites!

My coffee table in the family room with a Colonial Candle Company lantern.

Poinsettia wreath is from Hobby Lobby.


More snowmen on the kitchen island


I love the details in the Jim Shore pieces

When I unpacked this little lady this year,
I found her hat was broken. Not wanting to throw her away,
I place her in my kitchen window where she could turn her head
& watch my bird feeder.



And right now you don't get to see the rest of the house!
My dining room has turned into the north pole...
my gift wrapping station.

My storage space in Bob's car shop still holds several shelves of decorations I've used in the past. There are boxes of Department 56 Dickens Village houses that I intended to display this year. There are also several pieces of the Snow Village that Bob used to set up in his car shop. There is a classic aluminum tree from the '60's, along with a color wheel, Longaberger baskets, & things I'm sure I don't even realize I have.



I've promised myself to go through these things & downsize...but sentimental old me never wants to get rid of anything that was once a gift.

Maybe next year I need to begin my decorating in October!



Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Tricia G. said...

It's looking very nice!

Angie Davis said...

The decorations look beautiful, Sheila! I didn't do quite as much this year either--it's been so busy and I couldn't imagine having to take it all down after Christmas. Maybe next year...

Peggy B. said...

I absolutely love the garland on the stairway.

ng said...

Thanks for the Christmas walk through your home. It is a beautiful reflection of ------ you!

Lady J said...

Beautiful Sheila, wish I was creative. My house is so blah. No theme, nothing. Just hodge podge. No tree up. May even take down the few decorations before I leave for GA Saturday! I'm having a bah humbug Christmas.

Joycee said...

Shelia, thanks so much for coming to visit GrannyMountain and the heartfelt post. It does break my heart to see a homeless person and I can only imagine the worry that you have with it touching your life. It's a personal decision with some, they are tired of fighting this difficult world. Other times it's circumstance, and I think by the grace of God it could be us. I've met so many wonderful bloggers since I started last February and you bless my life and open my eyes. Wishing your family a Merry Christmas!
joy c. at grannymountain