Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas With Our Family

Since both Karen & Jeff have young children,
we now have our Christmas with them still on Christmas day,
but in the afternoon.


Dinner was ready at 1:00 when they all came bursting in the door,
loaded down with gifts, the grandchildren about to burst with excitement,
& were all starved & ready to eat...
except Jeff.




Seems the nasty kind of 'flu bug hit their house a couple of days before Christmas, & Daddy Jeff caught the yucky germs from his kids.
He was a little green around the gills when he arrived
& we gladly sent him upstairs to bed,
while the rest of us ate dinner.


One load of dishes was in the dishwasher
& the kids couldn't wait any longer.




Karen read the Christmas story from Luke Chapter Two,
a tradition handed down from Mom & Dad.


Peyton, Paige, Brycen, Carter
Kerrigan & Carter
were ready to see if they had made the naughty or nice list.


Grandma knew they were all especially nice!


Carter was so funny as several gifts were passed out before we found one with his name on it. He was sooooo excited as his pile grew & grew!

Paige is definitely all girl & loved the dolls & little girl gifts she received. Sometime in the last few months she discovered Barbie & that was all she would say she wanted. But she was so excited with this baby & another doll she received from her Mommy.

Peyton was delighted with his "Batman Castle", along with his Batman car & a few monster trucks. If it has wheels, he is happy!

Brycen also got Batman things & he was a happy little man. He just wanted to tear into all of his gifts, not paying a whole lot of attention to what was in the boxes.

Kerrigan just wanted clothes! She is almost 10 & has decided she is too big for dolls. But I couldn't resist & did put a small doll in her "stocking bag". She loves "Justice", a young girls store, & received jammies, purses, cologne & lotions, & an outfit from there.

Parker is a "G.I. Joe" guy now & several of his gifts were "Joe" things. His large gift was a missile launcher....& it looked like it would be so much fun to play with. I remember when Jeff always wanted G.I. Joe for Christmas.

Well, I said I'd never buy my grandsons a toy gun...but look who got one! Whenever I would ask Carter what he wanted for Christmas, the only thing he would tell me was "a deer gun". Jeff said what he wanted was a gun with a scope. I really didn't intend to get him one, but knew he would be disappointed if Santa didn't fill his request. So, I think it was just this Monday, I found myself in Rural King, & there it was...just what Carter was wanting. He couldn't have been more thrilled, & I'm happy that he got it.


It was a wonderful day, except for Jeff being so sick. He finally crawled down the stairs late in the day & managed to open his gifts after everyone else had finished. I'm always worn out by the time Christmas gets here, but it was worth all of the mall walking, & bargain hunting, trying to find just the right gifts for each loved one.



Somehow this season was more hectic than any I remember. I never got all of my decorations out, a thing or two didn't get purchased (but no one noticed!) & I only baked one batch of sugar cookies, never getting to the candies & mixes. I think I found out that it really isn't necessary to get it all done.



What is most important is to be with our family & loved ones, & to remember our Savior's birth! Oh yes, I did bake Him a special red velvet birthday cake.



Christmas Blessings!

3 comments:

Karen Walden said...

It was a great day being together and dodging the germs! ;o) Hope you get your new toy figured out! I have no clue... I have a couple of pics of a pale Jeff if you want them!

Thanks for ALL of our gifts! We loved them all! Still putting things away.

Peggy B. said...

Looks like you had a good time.

Sheila said...

A great day, Peggy!

Yes, Karen, I might like to upload some of your pictures as I didn't get very many. Send it w/Jonathan!