Saturday, November 7, 2009

Turkey Feathers!

My Grandma Fulkerson used to raise turkeys!
From the looks of this picture, those old gobblers liked to see her come around.
This was her way of earning a little extra money,
& from the number of birds in this old photograph,
she probably made a pretty penny!


Today is our annual Thanksgiving Supper at our church
& I'm looking forward to a delicious meal.
I'm very, very thankful that I don't have to wring a turkey's neck
or pluck a lot of turkey feathers in order to enjoy the main course.


May the month of November bring you memories of
Thanksgivings of the past.
And with that in mind...
may we all be making memories for our own families future.
Now, please pass the bird & the gravy!

3 comments:

Nettie's Nook said...

If we had to do all that I'm afraid I would NOT be doing the turkey.. I get sort of gaggy when I see the the neck and tail on one that's plucked...

Angie Davis said...

My Dad's family has fond Thanksgiving morning memories of my elderly great-grandmother chasing the turkey around the yard while swinging an axe. I'm afraid that would have ruined my meal... ;o)

Sheila said...

Oh dear! I have harrowing memories of our family gathering to butcher hogs at my cousins house! It's a wonder that I'll eat a bite of pork. :) And I also have a few endearing memory photos of my Mom & Grandma wringing chicken's necks while they were tied to a clothes line!!! Yuck!