Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Chicago Tour...my part of the vacation!

What I thought was my ticket to a ride downtown Chicago for a day of shopping, ended up being a full blown tour of the Windy City! We blew right past the Water Tower Place & American Girl Doll Store & off we went to see the sights! I wasn't disappointed.
Lincoln Park Conservatory
I learned a lot of history about the city as we toured in our beautiful black bus (wish I'd taken a picture of that!) & went up & down streets & avenues I would never have discovered on my own.
Chicago takes pride in being a clean city. There are parks & green areas everywhere with all kinds of plants & flower displays. It was a beautiful day.
Chicago Skyline along Lakeshore Drive

The Sears Tower....
until the day of our tour when it became
Willis Tower
I don't remember the name of this building but our tour guide told us a little story about it. A few years after it was built, chucks of granite began falling off of it. Eventually all of the granite had to be replaced and they used what he said was Indiana granite. I wondered if he meant limestone. Anyway....the cost was $1,000,000. per floor & there are 81 floors!

In Millennium Park there is this huge stainless steel "bean" sculpture called "The Cloud". I was trying to get a picture of myself but got a blurry photo instead. Pretty cool to see all of the reflections in it on a sunny day!

More of Millennium Park

View down the streets of Chicago. You can see the elevated train track in the distance. My friend, Denise, rides the train to work from Harvard to downtown at the Sears...oops....Willis Tower--a 2 hour ride each way!
No way would I ever drive down here!

Chicago is famous for their hot dogs. This is my lunch at the Navy Pier & I think it was the best dog I've ever had! Hot dog on a bun with mustard, pickle relish, onion, tomato, peppers (which I opted not to eat!), sprinkled with celery seed salt. It was delicious & I'm not a big hot dog fan. Maybe I was just hungry...
Looking down Navy Pier
I had been there before & decided not to walk to the end.
It's a long way down there!
Back at the hotel Bob found a new toy. Wouldn't that be fun!

Ron & Denise Novak
Our friends took a day off of work on Friday & came to visit with us. We ended the evening with pizza at Armands in Arlington Heights. We met Ron & Denise several years ago through the Classic Chevy Club & they are native Chicagoans.
No...we don't dance. (I just tap my feet a lot!) But we do enjoy some of the old '50's & '60's music so sat in & listened to The Ragtops for a while. Loved this old guys keyboard & seat! And, they were a good band.

We even spotted Elvis!

And this dude always shows up at the Chicago shows.
He thinks he is one of the Blues Brothers!
There were some cars there---I just didn't take any pictures of them. I'll grab Bob's camera & show you what our trip really was all about.

4 comments:

Photography by Trish said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Jenny said...

I've only been to Chicago once to visit Rachel @ Shriner's. Let's just say we didn't get to see the pretty sights!

Karen Walden said...

I'd love to go back to Chicago sometime but I'd HAVE to stop at the American Girl Doll place with Miss Paige!

Can't believe you thought that was the best hot dog you'd ever had! Ick...

Cool golf cart Dad found!

stacy said...

Thanks for the helpful hints. I needed help with finding a liquidation services and this was a great resource.