Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sheltered in the Arms of God

This afternoon I quickly wrote the following few words. Just before 5p.m. this afternoon I received the call from Dad that Mom had made her final journey. She now is resting safely in her Saviour's arms! Of course we have tears of sadness, but know that Mom is no longer suffering. Vickie said it best...."she is now a Greeter in Heaven!"...one of her favorite things to do while she lived in Keepsake Village.


Some of you know that Bob's Mom has only few days left in her earthly home. She is resting comfortably & we are just waiting for her Heavenly call. Ahlzheimers disease has taken it's horrible toll on her fragile body. She is receving excellent care from the loving nurses of Hospice & she is not suffering.

Last night I was on my way over to Jeff's so we could go and visit his Grandma. A million things were racing through my mind as I drove across town when I caught the melody of this song coming across the radio. I have always thought it was a beautiful song & it has had special meaning to me since my parents have been gone. But it seemed to speak to me in a special way last night and my thoughts went to Bonnie. It will be forever special.

For you that don't know the song, it is to the tune of "Oh Danny Boy" or "London Derry Aire".


Sheltered in the Arms of God
by Dotty Rambo

I feel the touch of hands so kind and gentle,

They're leading me in paths that I must trod;

I have no fear when Jesus walks beside me,

For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.


So let the storms rage high, the dark clouds rise,

They won't worry me for I'm sheltered safe

within the arms of God;

He walks with me and naught of Earth can harm me,

Sheltered safe within the arms of God.


Soon I shall hear the call from Heaven's portals,

Come home my child, it's the last mile you must trod;

I'll fall asleep and wake in God's new Heaven,

Sheltered safe within the arms of God.


So let the storms rage high, the dark clouds rise,

They won't worry me for I'm sheltered safe within the arms of God;

He walks with me and naught of Earth can harm me,

Sheltered safe within the arms of God.


Sheltered safe within the arms of God!

12 comments:

Angie Davis said...

I can't imagine Columbus without Sis. Thompson, but Heaven will be sweeter for her presence. We'll be praying for the family...

Nettie's Nook said...

Our thoughts are with you and Bob. We all know just how special Aunt Bonnie is.

Karen Walden said...

Grandma heard that call this afternoon didn't she Mom?! Sooo glad she finally made it home and that Heaven has a new greeter!!

Dj said...

I am so sorry to hear the news. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Peggy B. said...

Thinking of you all.

Terri and Bob said...

Sheila, I saw your comment on Pat's blog about your mother and I wanted to tell you that I have you in my prayers. I am a Missouri gal too!

susan said...

I too saw your comment on Pat's blog and wanted you to know that I will put your family in my prayers. I lost my grandmother to Alzheimers and know what a cruel disease it can be. It is comforting to know she will recognize everybody in Heaven!

Dorcas said...

I'm so sorry for your loss!!1

Terry said...

Hi
This is so beatuiful .
Thank you for sharing the lyrics.
They are most calming and comforting yet fill you with joy and an excitement too !
May God be with you this day and all through the week ahead.
Blessings of all that our Father has for each of you .
Blessings until we meet again.

Sheila said...

Thanks so much to all of you for your sweet words of sympathy. The family is at peace with her passing...she made it to the Home she had been striving for most of her adult life. I can just picture her there greeting all of her loved ones...& most of all her Saviour. Please keep us in your prayers...tomorrow may be difficult

ng said...

How eternal is our hope! We possess a peace that the world can't give, --- our tears are mingled with joy!

Sherry said...

I love that song. I feel sorrow but at the same time this is what she lived her whole life for....to be with Jesus! You are all in our prayers!