Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Smile in Walmart


The belt was loaded with my purchases as the check out lady began to zip them across the bar code scanner. She greeted me as usual and I only gave her a nod as I was in a hurry. I go there enough that I remember thinking that I had probably been through her check out line before.

As she scanned my things, she picked up the magazine I was buying & said "Oh, I absolutely love this magazine--it's my favorite". I rudely thought "you've gotta be kidding me"....there is no way this lady would be interested in Victoria Bliss. Something made me look up at her and as she scanned my things, she began to tell me how she was decorating her home in "shabby chic" & antiques. I asked her if she ever read any decorating blogs on the Internet & she told me that her life didn't allow time for that...she works two jobs.

I was grabbing the shopping bags she was filling & putting them back in my cart and she continued to tell me of decorating touches she has done in her home. She said she also loves to cross stitch...something I used to do before the day came where I had to wear bifocals...and she quickly described the beautiful patterns she was working on. As she described the project she was working on, I realized it would have been one I no doubt would have chosen for myself.


My purchases were made & there was another customer waiting for me to move on. Quickly I told my check out lady that I would love to see what all she has done in her home and that I knew it no doubt looks lovely. She smiled again & told me to "have a great day"!


I walked away not even getting her name. She has been on my mind all afternoon. I thought about it and wonder ed how many times I've been in too big of a hurry to give someone else a smile, or slow down long enough to listen to their stories. Looking at her outward appearance, I would never have dreamed that we would have had anything in common. I would never have even considered that a check-out girl at Walmart might have a lovely home, decorated in some of the styles that I like. It made me feel a little ashamed of myself.


I'm going back in a few days and I'm going to look for her again. I'll make a point to go through her check out line if possible, and just maybe we might be able to get in another short conversation. And I'm going to give her a smile and let her know that I really do care about what is going on in her life. Something tells me that she just might be in need of a friend.

8 comments:

Nettie's Nook said...

I totally understand what you are talking about. You see people everyday like that. Just last week I helped a lady with pictures they were of her grandbaby well of course I had to tell her of mine, then she started to cry and told me her sad story how her grandbaby only live 45 days and how many surgeries that she had in that time, but I was able to comfort her in the knowledge that she was definitley in heaven. We never know what people need, maybe that is why GOd puts us in those places at that time.

Amy Shearer said...

WOW Sheila! That goes right along with Bro. Shockley's message last night! I fear we're all too quick (myself included) to judge others by their appearance. No doubt God had His hand in that - who knows, you might be the person she needs right now in her life for some reason!

Sherry said...

That is all so true! I worked with a lady at CRH that treated me like trash until she found out I liked Longaberger and GASP I even owned several. At that point I didn't care about her opinion anymore! We never even know when we are attending angels unaware! I try to remember...inasmuch asye have done it unto the least of these mt brethren....

Sheila said...

Amy....Did you see me trying to crawl under my seat last night during the message? If you notice the time of this post, I wrote it late Saturday night! I do believe that message might have been for me.

Oh dear...

Karen Walden said...

WOW! You might even be able to "get out of your comfort zone" as Brother Shockley was talking about and invite that nice lady to our revival!!! :)

Pretty amazing how during Brother Shockley's messages he seems to know exactly what is going on in our lives, huh?! :)

ng said...

Sheila,
I too enjoy the Victoria Bliss Magazine. Did you see the issue with what others look for as the first signs of Spring? I thought of that when I read your "bird blog". Here we have "peepers" (little frogs with a big throat when they peep) that we listens for each spring and we heard them on Feb 26th. Am I ever ready!!!

Karen Walden said...

Have you been back to Wal-mart yet Mom???

Sheila said...

Nancy...I will have to look up that article. My neighbors daffodils are out of the ground & I have hellebores popping up too. Trying to get some bluebirds to nest.

Karen...I have been back to Wmart 2 or 3 times but haven't found my lady yet!