Thursday, February 26, 2009

Amaryllis Surprise!

I'm not a "bulb" gardener.

My intentions are good & I always dream of planting massive beds of daffodils or tulips. And sometimes I actually find myself in the garden centers at the right time & will fill my cart up with bulbs. But they end up in my garden wagon, get push aside & are forgotten, usually to be found wasted away come Spring.

This year I just couldn't pass up the amaryllis bulbs so bought a couple of packages. And not to disappoint myself, I did the usual & forgot to pot them.

In January I discovered the bulbs still in their Lowes bag (no wonder I didn't see them!) so decided to find out what would happen if I actually did "just add water" as directed.

Much to my surprise, & delight, in just a few days green sprouts began to appear. I tried to remember to faithfully water them.

After we got home from our trip I was startled to see a very long stem full of buds about to burst open. And in just a few days this gorgeous amaryllis appeared. The companion one is growing along beside it so I'm hoping to soon be doubly surprised!

I'm not kidding you when I say all I did was "just add water". There was a small fiber disk in the pot which expanded & filled the pot with "soil" when wet. It couldn't have been easier.

Already, I'm making plans to load up my cart next year & hope to have a beautiful display of amarylis in bloom...this time for Christmas instead of the end of February.

Spring is coming girls! Get your shovels, rakes, knee pads out. I'll race you outdoors!

6 comments:

Peggy B. said...

Those are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that sounds like something right up my alley! Just add water, huh? I may be asking more advice from you when I go to tackle the landscaping around here. I only hope mine turns out beautiful as what yours does every year! I hope to someday master the "Green Thumb" lol.
-April

Sheila said...

You can do it April! But it does take some blood, sweat & tears. A lot of mine needs redone as I tend to overdo it. (Keep that in mind when I'm loading up your wagon at Lowe's!)

I can't wait for Spring!

Tricia G. said...

Now that is my kind of gardening...of course I generally forget to add the water (lol). I can't wait til spring though to get outside and plant some flowers anyway!

Kent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth Stetler said...

Those amaryllis are beautiful!