Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Reconnecting in Tennessee!

Last week Bob, Steve & I made a trip to Nashville to see "Steve's girls"! It had been a long time since we had all been together, lots of life's events had taken place in each of our lives, but it was good to get together once again. All three girls came to Karen's wedding---way back in 1996!--and we had seen Susan at Mom & Dad's funeral's. We had all changed in many ways, but we just sort of reconnected like we had never been apart. It was so good to be with them once again!Susan lives near Franklin, Tennessee, one of my favorite small towns in the South! It is just south of Nashville, in the rolling hills of the countryside, full of Civil War history & quaint little shops. I'd been there before, so this time decided not to bore the men with waiting while I browsed. Instead we toured the countryside. The area is full of beautiful homes, some dating before the Civil War, some new & the size of mansions!
We had lunch in "The Factory". The Jamison Mattress Factory was in production here for years. Now this is full of shops & cafes. We found one that the guys agreed too. Bob had his burger while I had my quiche! Susan & I did get to go through a few shops while Bob went to hose the salt off or our car from our trip down here. Steve gladly sat & waited for us.
Here we are perched up on a humongous rocker. I was hoping it would make me look small...but it doesn't look like it worked!
After our tour of Franklin, we enjoyed visiting at Susan's house where we became acquainted with little Miss Emma! Grrrrrrr! She wasn't too sure at first about us, but finally decided we were fine as long as she was allowed to snuggle up close by. Steve made a friend!
Karin Jean & her family live nearby, so after school was out, they came by for a visit. And you can see from this picture why I fell instantly in love with little Ciara! She is a real sweetheart for sure!
And Ciara fell instantly in love with Steve! He thought for sure that Karin had put Ciara up to buddying up with him. But I told him that her reaction wasn't planned...she just thought he might be the Grandpa she needed in her life! So....whether he wants to admit it or not....it's Grandpa Steve!
(hope he forgets to read this post.....)
Lorinda, the youngest, came after work to get reacquainted & to go out for dinner. Lorinda is a teacher, teaching preschool aged children with Autism. I thoroughly admire her for the work she has to do! And, Lorinda & hubby are expecting a baby girl, due in March! And...Lorinda is a Walden!!! Wonder if there is a connection...... (Dinner was at Famous Dave's Barbecue. Yum!!!)
After touring Nashville on Friday, we met up with Karin & her family again.
We were able to visit for a while at our hotel, then headed to one of my favorite hang outs...Cracker Barrel! Jeremiah, Steve & Ciara at Cracker Barrel
Here is Karin Jean's family...Ciara, Jeremiah, Karin, & Branden
And this is something I admired at Susan's house. For a Mother's Day gift, Susan had the little red dress framed, with a photo of each of the little girls wearing it. The pictures below it are about the age the 3 girls were when they came in our lives. Ciara is on the right end. I remember one of them wearing that little red dress...probably Lorinda.
We had a very enjoyable couple of days. Steve was so glad we went to see the girls & he loved Nashville. With it just being a 4 hour drive away, I'm pretty sure we'll see them again before too many months! Who knows....we may just have to go see that new baby one of these days!

7 comments:

Karen Walden said...

I'm glad you all got to go and see the girls again. I'd like to go see them again sometime too! We met up with Susan about 2 years ago when the twins were 6 months. Haven't seen Karin or Lorinda in twelve years!!! (Hey, what was up with the comment about my wedding being so many years ago???) :)

Karen Walden said...

I remember the picture of both Karin and Lorinda in that little red dress. I think Gma Brown had those pictures! Very neat idea!

Sheila said...

I've been wanting to do sort of that same idea with your Dad's little overalls. I just need to find the pictures to put with them!

Karen Walden said...

That would be cute! Of course, not a good gift for him though! Do you have pics of him in them too?

Sheila said...

Doubt it! I'd have to see if there are any baby pics of him.

Karen Walden said...

Don't you have pics of Jeff and I and my kids and Carter and Brycen in them? Remember Parker was about to bust out the seams?! :)

Dorcas said...

It looks and sounds like you had a good trip. I'm glad you could meet up with your nieces again!!