Friday, January 30, 2009

A hair raising story...

I cannot believe that I am actually sharing this old photo with you! The creature with the cat-eye glasses & brush rollers is me. And the lady with the smile is Mom! There were many nights when we would spend a little quality time together, reading, looking at catalogs, or trying to talk above the whirr of the hairdryer while we dried our hair before bedtime.


For some of you much younger ladies...you have no idea what we went through to be beautiful...way back then. : )

My hair was naturally oily so I had to shampoo every day. And so every night before bedtime, I had to wash my hair, curl it, & sit under the hair dryer for about an hour. Otherwise I would have a soggy mess come morning time! Most nights the noise of the hairdryer put me to sleep. I wore out more than one hairdryer by over drying my curls! It is a wonder I didn't set my bed ablaze.

I remember getting my first set of electric rollers. It was a new found freedom, because it meant that I could get up early enough to do my hair without having to sleep on those terrible brush rollers! I remember dreading the shampoo ritual after coming home late on a Saturday night from a date. Many nights I went to sleep with that hairdryer humming a lullaby.


Bob & I had been married a few years when I discovered the luxury of electric rollers. Bob absolutely hated my curlers & nightly ritual so was a very happy man when he found out I didn't have to come to bed anymore looking like I was someone from outer space!

Thank goodness for hot rollers & hair dryers! Otherwise, I'd never be able to leave the house until the middle of the afternoon. Ahhhh...ain't life good?

7 comments:

Carol said...

Ahhh!! And yet another FABULOUS post, Sis! So glad you posted the pic of you in your curlers! I hafta say, there's nutin' quite like the old puffy Sunbeam hair dryer!

By the way, do you have an old picture of Mom in her boots? I can't seem to find any.

Karen Walden said...

Hilarious picture of you! Also...I can't imagine as a new bride, to go to bed on your wedding night looking like that!!! ;) Hope Dad had a "heads up" that you would look like that! HA!!!!

I remember that type of hairdryer that Grandma Brown would use when I was little too!

Sheila said...

I don't remember any "boots" picture but I'll try to remember to look. Is Kylie still wearing those old things???

Lady J said...

Loved this post, oh how I remember those brush rollers. My hair was so fine the rollers would just hold onto my hair and not let loose-unles I pulled real hard. Talk about split ends! Mom bought these metal rollers that were like clips (similar to perm rods) that worked a lot better on my hair. I found them when we cleaned out Dad's house. I keep promising myself to try them out again but haven't had the time to do in case they produce an awful hairdo! And the those ole hair dryers were the hottest things-literally. Now back to grading papers-ugh.

Nettie's Nook said...

I never used these but I do remember Diane & Marsha and the Dippty Do. I also remember Marsha having a hair dryer similar to that. It is hilarious to see those things, it seems to jog memories that you forgot about..

Dorcas said...

I loved this post, Sheila!! I can remember my sister using those curlers and the dippty~do! Also, the beautiful glasses :o)))

Sheila said...

Well, I hate to admit that until recently I still used the Dippity Do! I've switched to something else. Thank goodness we don't have to wear those horrid brush rollers anymore. :)