Friday, December 12, 2008

MAKIN" A LIST...


Guess what I've been doing the last couple of nights! You guessed it...working on my Christmas Card List!

It is an old family joke that you had better watch out and not forget to send me a card...or you just might get scratched off of my list!

I think my dear daughter Karen was about 13 or 14 years old when she found this card for me & gave it to me while I was addressing cards that year! I've kept it in my card album ever since, and believe me, it makes me take a second look about doing name scratching! I seldom take anyone off of my list anymore.After two late nights of writing, I think I've finished & have my cards ready to mail or ready to deliver to the church Christmas box. Thank goodness that chore is over once more!Have you found very many Christmas greetings in your mailbox this year? We were talking about it tonight & I definitely see a decline in the number of cards we are receiving. It may have something to do with the economy, or may be one of those old traditions that is going to fade away.This old album is a history book in itself. I've had it for years...along with the little Mouse card!...and have many lines drawn through names of loved ones who have passed on, some whom we no longer hear from, some divorced, and many changes in addresses.

For now I'm still checkin' my list & mailing out my greetings. It is one of those traditions I don't want to see slip away. I look forward to going to the mailbox & seeing a postmark from a far away friend, knowing what is inside will probably let me know what that family has been up to in the past year.


So I guess I'll keep those "bah-humbugs" to myself for when I really do get to be a grumpy ole grandma!

4 comments:

Dorcas said...

I love the card Karen got for you several years ago :o) I also delete names off of my list when I don't receive from them. It's hard sometimes to know where to draw the line!

Karen Walden said...

We were just talking about this at work yesterday! Yes, we've seen a decline in the number of cards we are receiving in the mail!

That's hilarious that you still have that card in your book! I can't believe how much my hand writing has changed since then either! :)

Denise said...

I have also noticed the decline in cards this year. I went ahead & sent out my usual number but maybe I should've saved my money.....?!! I really enjoy that tradition though & hate to see it disappear. :(

Sheila said...

We did get a lot of cards at Church today! Those dear people are our best friends anyway!