Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas past...in Missouri

Christmas 1961
And then there are all of those memories of Christmas' past in our little hometown of Hallsville, Missouri.
This particular one was when I was 12 years old & my brother had just turned 10. I thought I was too old to play with dolls, yet still wanted one.
I probably saw her in a Montgomery Wards, Sears Roebuck or Spiegel catalog. Mom did a lot of Christmas shopping from the catalogs as we were 12 miles from Columbia & only shopped there on the weekends. I remember wearing those pages out, looking & looking at what I might want to put on my Christmas list. That particular year my wish happened to be for "Poor Pitiful Pearl"!
I still have her! She came with a raggedy dress along with a party dress. The party dress is long gone, but Pearl still wears her "poor" dress, minus her red head scarf. I never played with her much but somehow kept her these many years. Looking back, I have no idea why in the world I wanted that ugly little doll!
If you look real close, you will see that I also got a scrapbook album! I remember putting old pictures in that album & writing captions with white ink on the black pages. So, I'm an old timer at scrapbooking! Wish I still had that album...
And it looks like Steve had a good Christmas that year too! He was proud of his BB gun, helmet & shoulder pads, metal truck, & a target game that we loved to play! It was a metal sign with a chicken on it & if you hit the target with the rubber suction cup "bullet", the hen would lay an egg!
Steve & I would be awake way before dawn, trying to get Mom & Dad up early to open our gifts! Dad would make us go back to bed several times & then would finally give in & let us get up to see what Santa had brought.
Happy memories of years gone by...

2 comments:

Carol said...

What a great picture! (you and Steve look look quite a bit alike).

I'm sure I drove Mom and Dad nuts on Christmas morning too, but it was only me then. You and Steve look like you were double trouble! : )

Sheila said...

Just wait, Carol! Somewhere in my archives are pictures of you!!! : ) More to follow.....