Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Happy Birthday to Mary Jane!



WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE


With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit


You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Taken from the book
When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple



Happy Birthday!
to my dear friend, Mary Jane
who just happens to be celebrating a landmark birthday...
that I won't mention because
I'm not too many months behind her!

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!

And hopefully we won't wear too much purple....

8 comments:

Angie Davis said...

Happy Birthday, Mary Jane! I love that poem. I think I'm well on my way to the quirky old lady phase. :)

Karen Walden said...

So that's why they went out of town this week!!!! ;) I didn't know she was going to be celebrating a milestone!!!

Happy Birthday Mary Jane! Hope you are having a great week in Branson! We miss you all! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

"Happy Birthday Merrwy!"

Love,
Paige

Happy Birthday from Parker and Peyton too!

Sheila said...

I talked to her yesterday & she was having a great time at Branson Landing! I told her to have a good day & she said "every day is a good one".... She's a survivor!

Amy Shearer said...

Happy Birthday Mary Jane!!! Hope you're having a great one!! Enjoy your trip!

Jenny said...

I was going to wish her a Happy Birthday earlier on the post, but wanted to make sure she was the one we knew! HA! :)
Happy Birthday from Wes & Jen!

Carol said...

Wow! Mary Jane is DEFINITELY celebrating a "landmark" birthday! : ) (that can't be a day over 30, right?)

Sherry said...

Happy Birthday! I think I would leave off the learning to spit and swear though! My kids have asked me if I was going to join the old ladies wearing red and purple when I get old but I think not!