Friday, October 3, 2008

Molasses Cookies


This time of year always makes me want to get my jar of molasses out & bake cookies. I stirred up a batch on Wednesday morning & put them in the frig to chill. Next thing I knew it was Friday afternoon & I found a well chilled bowl of cookie dough sitting in my frig, just waiting to be baked.

Mmmmmm...the aroma of molasses cookies baking. Brings back memories...

Rolled & ready for the oven

I think Mom would bake for weeks before we would make a visit to their house in Kansas. She was very organized about her baking chores and would do quite a bit of it ahead of time. She would freeze cookies & cobblers, just to have when her company arrived. And what a batch of cookies she would make!

Just out of the oven & ready to cool...

If we were coming for Fall school break, or perhaps later at Thanksgiving, she would always have Cowboy Cookies (a good old chocolate chip recipe) , maybe snickerdoodles, one of my favorites...a raspberry swirl, and almost always-a container of molasses cookies. Years ago, when Steve, Stephanie & the girls would come also, she would have to bake forever to make sure she had enough on hand! Stephanie was well known for sneaking in the laundry room where the stash of cookies was stored. And before we knew it, the molasses cookies would be gone.

My snaggled tooth taste tester!

Parker had more than one...

I have company coming too, but not until Thanksgiving time. Seems like I never had time to bake ahead, but maybe I might be able to get a little done this year. At least I have good intentions! There is nothing like homemade cookies!

Can you smell the molasses?

Mom's handwritten recipe...

Just in case you can't read it:

Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 stick), melted

1/4 cup molasses

1 egg

1 cup granulated sugar

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

Combine butter, sugar & egg. Beat until blended and add molasses & mix well.

Add flour & soda & blend. Chill dough! Roll into balls & then roll balls in granulated sugar to coat. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

Sam from our church makes a trip to Kentucky around this time of year & brings back the best molasses! Try to get some other than you find in the grocery store.

Happy Baking!

8 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Those are the BEST cookies! I just made some a couple of weeks ago. Seems like mine don't ever taste like Grandma's though. Remember that old tin she would put them in and place them in foil also?! Who ended up with that old tin??? I didn't know Parker liked those!!! He wouldn't eat mine! :)

Sheila said...

I'm not sure who got the tin. Carol or Steve...want to 'fess up?

I have an old tin that used to be hers but I've had it for years.

Mmmmm...I think I'll go grab a cookie & get my jammies on. :)

Carol said...

Ahhhh!!!! My FAVORITE cookies! Yours look SO yummy, and I''m not much of a sweets person. I have to admit I've never made them, and I'm sure mine wouldn't be as good as Mom's.

I don't know who ended up with Mom's old tin either. I hope the garage sale shoppers didn't end up with it!

You weren't kidding about the molasses cookies disappearing when Stephanie was around! : ) It drove Mom nuts!

Sheila said...

Ha! I hope Step isn't reading this! If so...no harm meant, Stephanie!!!

Okay, Steve...do you have the old cookie tin???

Carol, my cookies were a bit flat this time. I'm sure it was because I let them chill a day too long. They tasted the same though!

Angie Davis said...

Those sound awesome! (As if I don't spend enough time baking and eating cookies...) Will have to copy that recipe off and add it to my plans for next week.

Tricia Grissom said...

Okay...so now you have me wanting to bake cookies and I don't need them! :o) I'm definately going to try this recipe. Can't wait!

Denise said...

MmmmmMmm! What a perfect Fall treat. I want to try that recipe. :)

Sherry said...

I love molasses cookies and so do the kids. Actually, they pretty much like anything called a cookie! I love to bake and I will have to try that recipe.