Monday, October 13, 2008

Candles for Luana!




Today is Luana's birthday...our little Lulu of the family!










Luana is my first cousin...our mother's being sisters. She and I, along with another cousin, were born in the same year and grew up sort of like sisters, that neither of us had--at least I didn't until 15 1/2 years later!











Luana got the dark Fulkerson hair!
When I hear the little ditty of
"There was a little girl who had a little curl
right in the middle of her forehead..."
I always think of Luana & these pictures.

Luana got married the day after her 18th birthday, which means she & Duane will be celebrating an anniversary tomorrow! Anyone want to guess how many? And can you figure out how many candles Luana has on her cake?

Luana & Duane have 2 daughters, Debbie & Paula. Our kids loved spending many spring and fall breaks together, vacationing together, and back in our adventuresome days, even went camping together. Paula & Karen both have birthdays in March just 4 days apart & it seems like we celebrated several of them on spring break. We have shared lots of laughs & good times, along with some not so good times. Luana has always been there for me when I needed a listening ear.

I'm sure I used to drive her Mom & Dad crazy with my weekend visits. They lived in Kansas City while I was attending KCCBS & living in the dorm. On the weekends that I didn't go home, I tried my best to get to spend them with Luana. It became my home away from my own. We kept Aunt Paulene busy cooking & entertaining us, taking us shopping, and I'm sure she had some sleepless nights when we girls came home later than we should have. I have a lot of happy memories of those weekends with the Palmer's!








The era of swept up hairdos...
& cat eye glasses!
Luana now has me beat in the number of grandchildren! I will happily let her keep that award. Debbie & Russel have 2 children, a daughter & son. Paula & Mitch are the proud parents of 7 sons! My goodness...I can just imagine the noise level around their house on Christmas morning. : )

We hope you had a wonderful birthday & will make Duane take you someplace special for your anniversary dinner tomorrow. Happy Celebrating!!!















Wish you were here & we would go the Streamcliff Farm to celebrate!

1 comment:

Karen Walden said...

Happy Birthday LuLu and I know how old you are!!! You and Mom will celebrate a big milestone next year!!! Goodness!!! :)

Happy Anniversary tomorrow too!!!