Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mile Marker 40...


The past few days--and maybe weeks--have been a little bit on the hectic side around our household. We had been getting ready for the big 40th Anniversary celebration for Bob's dad being pastor at our church. Today was the big day--and after all of that planning, picture scanning, photo printing, memory jogging & story telling, food preparation....it's all over. Well, except for a little last minute clean up & putting away a few keepsakes.

Karen worked so hard, wanting this day to be a special one for her Grandpa. And all of her hard work paid off! There was a tremendous crowd for our morning service, a packed out crowd for our pitch in dinner, more people for the afternoon program, and lots of guests for the reception. It was a time of seeing old friends from many years gone by, all in some way touched by the ministry of Mom & Dad Thompson. Just by coming, they paid respect to the man who has given much of his life to this church. We were so pleased that many friends, family & loved ones came to share this special day. Karen...your many hours on that computer paid off! Thanks for all you did to make it a great day!!!

And thanks to our fellow Sunday School friends who miraculously changed the dining hall from a sorry looking mess of left overs, to a beautiful reception hall in a matter of a few minutes. Someone told me they didn't think it was going to get done in time...but it did!!! And thank you Angie!!! We couldn't have done it without all of your help today. You are welcome to come to all of our festivities from now on!
I'd love to write down some memories of days gone by, but my mind is a bit frazzled right now and my swollen ankles tell me I need to go rest in the recliner...or go to bed soon!
Thanks for being a part of our church family & for loving Mom & Dad Thompson!!!
By the way...this is a mile marker for me too...my 100th post! Bet you didn't know I was so gabby. : )

7 comments:

Karen Walden said...

It was a great turnout and I know Grandpa was so pleased to see so many friends from over the past 40 years.

The day was great with the exception of your dingy son-in-law's goof ups! He's so in the dog house for blaming me... ;)

Thanks for all your hard work also! Your many hours on the computer, scanning and printing pictures, and decorating everything. It was very nice and a day we won't forget!

Carol said...

Wish we could have been there to help you celebrate!

Angie Davis said...

I thought it turned out beautifully! You guys really did a lot of work putting that together.

And it wouldn't have been complete without the pagination fiasco or Elvis ripping a page out of his script! That was actually pretty hilarious and it's cheaper than hiring a clown. ;o)

Sheila said...

Yeah...but I think Elvis is in deep trouble with the author of that script! She about came unglued back in the overflow area we were in!!!

Peggy B. said...

Did you take any pictures?

Sheila said...

Peggy...I was so busy I didn't even get my camera out of my purse! Karen took lots of crowd shots & it trying to get them on her blog. Something has changed with Picasa & she is trying to figure it out. Check on her blog later! -- I actually had plans on taking pictures of people as they came in & signed the guest book. But that flew out the door when they started coming in swarms. But it was a nice problem to have.

Nettie's Nook said...

You did have a wonderful turnout! I am happy your hard work paid off Sheila. You did way more than a daughter-in-law should have done. God Bless you for all your hard work.