Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Did you sleep good last night???


I think I felt the earth tremble again...but this time is was from the stock market taking a nose dive, & not another earthquake! Did yesterdays happenings rattle your cage any?


We do not play the stock market, but we are self employed. And being in the new home building business, the economy can greatly affect our personal finances. I can remember the time back in the 1980's when we were having to get construction loans and pay over 20 % interest! That certainly ate into our profit rather quickly. Those were hard times, but we survived.

I try not to listen too much to the news, but yesterday I could tell that the House vote on the "bail out bill" was something big. Bigger than I understood. And my first thought was that I hoped it passed. After all, our President was pushing for it! And then when I heard our own Congressman was not voting for it and the more I listened to the talk show hosts...I began to reconsider. It would be so easy & safe just to pass the bail out bill & let us go on with our lives. Bailing out is not the answer.

I'm not into politics. You can tell by the layout of my blog that I am a Republican, and a very conservative one at that. I make no apologies for it. But I do not keep myself educated on politics, never have, and probably won't change. I can hear the winds of crisis in the air and know that now is the time to sit up and pay attention. We may have to change our priorities & life styes in the not too distant future. Whatever comes, we too can survive. We are Americans!


I didn't sleep very well last night. Our son and daughter-in-law are building a new home and have yet to finalize the mortgage. Needless to say, this mess could affect them. I want them to be able to enjoy their new home and have the security of keeping their jobs to make the payments. And our daughter & son-in-law also have a home that really isn't very many years old, but they someday would like to have more room.

My brother lives in California & sells Mercedes cars. Even they are not selling well now. He has been in a financial crisis of his own during the last few months & I keep wondering what this will do to his business.


My sister has a daughter in college & two more that will be there before we know it. Living is expensive anymore, let alone paying for our children's education.

Just letting these things run through my mind made for a night of tossing and turning.

I want this to be a time when I am conserned for our country, our President, our Congressmen & Senators, the ones campaigning & running for office...I want them to be at the top of my prayer list. The next few weeks choices are going to be made. And even though the votes may not go just the way I want them to, I'm praying that the right man or woman will be elected to help our country during this critical time. I will vote!!!


My flag is waving from my front porch and sometimes when I'm laying in bed I can see the shadow of it's movement. I want it to continue to wave. I want to live to see my grandchildren to be able to grow up and enjoy the freedom and economics that we grew up in. Oh I know it may never be just like is was when I was a girl growing up back in the '50s & '60s...but it doesn't have to be just like that. It can be better.


I didn't sleep well last night. I cannot imagine how much sleep Our President has lost in the last few days. My complaints seem so trivial...

7 comments:

Lady J said...

Oh my Sheila. We are in a fix. You blog touched my heart. I guess I have been so busy I haven't thought too much about it. I need to and I need to pray more too. I'm rambling because I'm tired. See ya when I get back from conference.

Jenny said...

I have been praying for our country too! I've been praying like Abraham did for Lot...if there were so many people living in Sodom that loved God then would He spare it?! I'm praying that He'll show mercy to America for the people who are still trying to serve Him.
Either way..."God said you're gonna make it!" It's nice to know we can count on Him!

Sheila said...

What a lovely thought, Jenny.

Bet we sing that at church tonight if you have anything to do about it!

Must go...munchkins napping downstairs!

Sherry said...

It is all veru scarey. There are times I wonder what on earth I was thinking when I had kids! Then I realize that I was thinking like all the ones before me who faced hard times! I think only prayer can turn things around!

Tricia Grissom said...

Tonight I heard a song that was based on the fact that through problems, trials, etc, His Truth is Marching On. What an encouragement to us Christains! It's a time for us to stand strong, show the love of God, and be a light to others that need Him! I'm about to get blessed! ;o) Thanks for the blog, I needed it. I'm also one that does not get involved in politics, but sometimes we have to listen to know what to pray for. I'm trusting in the Lord to carry us through! (okay, I'm gonna step off my soap box.)

Amy Shearer said...

Well, I slept good last night but I probably won't tonight now (thanks, Sheila :) I'm kind of like you, oblivious to politics but my heart's cry is the same as Jenny's... show mercy on America! We need Him now more than ever!!

Sheila said...

Girls...

Don't forget to tune in to the VP Debate tonight! I was able to view it via AT & T last week...while Bob listened on WIBC...and it about drove me crazy!

Go Sarah!!!