Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer's End...



You can almost smell the change of seasons in the late summer's air.

As I was getting ready to do some outdoor chores today, it seemed that I was hearing the chirping of the birds & the buzz of the insects telling me that summer is almost gone. I'm not quite ready to let it go just yet, and I know that there are probably more hot & humid Indiana summer days to come, but I'm also looking forward to cool weather & less to do outdoors. I love the change of seasons & don't think I would want to live where we would miss out on the beautiful fall colors & even the winter to come.




This time of year also makes me sad. The late days of August remind me of my Dad's last visit here...how he sat in the recliner & watched his great-grandchildren play...how he held our little colic-y Carter & soothed him with his singing of "Oh My Darling Clementine"...and how he told me goodbye at the airport & said he wouldn't be back. He sensed what was to come.



Autumn also brings back the memories of Mom, of how she couldn't let that season pass without doing her "fall cleaning"! She would make sure the windows where spotless, the dust bunnies were caught out from all of the corners of the house, and the carpets were cleaned. I don't think I'll ever clean a window without being reminded of Mom's faithful seasonal cleaning. But somehow, in the busyness of my life, I'm not quite the housekeeper that she was!


This time of year also reminds me of new things! Parker was born in September & he was the beginning of a healing for my heart. And then there is my baby sister, Carol...born that September when I was 15! So I must get out of my melancholy mood & go pull up the weeds in my gardens, grab the Bounty paper towels & herbal Windex & get to work! There is much fall cleaning to be done around this place & it won't happen while I think of times gone by.




Have a fun filled Labor Day Weekend & enjoy the season's change!





4 comments:

Carol said...

Ok...now I'm REALLY sad!!!
Don't you LOVE that picture of Dad and baby Carter?!?
Remember how we taped that picture and one of Parker above his bed in ICU???
There are some good memories amid the "Fall Funk".
BTW, (text talk for "by the way"), it was great to spend time with you and the rest of the family last week! Thanks for putting up with us.
: )

Jenny said...

Sheila,
You're a really good writer! I also love your flowers! Wish mine looked like that around here. I'm lucky they're still alive!

Karen Walden said...

I have a picture almost just like that of Grandpa Brown holding Parker on that same visit. It is in the twins room in a pooh frame. It has been in that room on the dresser for almost 6 years now! :(
Okay...you have got to figure out a way to write this stuff without making me cry!!! ;) When I first read this the other night I was bawling and couldn't leave a comment! :)

Sheila said...

Sorry about your tears! But remember...we are on a "sentimental journey!"......

I didn't even start the post out to bring in the part about Dad. It just happened.