Wednesday, July 23, 2008

How We Spend Our Vacations.


Summertime around our house means getting the old Chevy's ready for "Show 'n Shine", and heading out for car conventions. For many years we were members of The Late Great Chevy Club and Classic Chevy Club. In recent years they have merged and things have changed. They now have a combined convention which was held in Connecticut in early July. We didn't feel like dragging our loooonnnng trailer over the mountains and valleys or through that Eastern traffic. So this is the first year we have missed in over 12 years. But Bob found a way to get with his car buddies anyway.



Bob is going to the National Impala Convention in Indianapolis next week. It isn't a new club, but is the first time he has joined or attented any of their functions. I may join him for a few days, but since it is just a hop, skip and a jump from home I haven't been too excited about it



Then I got to thinking about what all I could do in Indy! I would only be a few miles away from White River Gardens---and Circle Center Mall---and not too far from Zionsville---and I've always wanted to check out the Metropolis Mall at Plainfield---and it really wouldn't be that far of a drive to Keystone at the Crossing & Country Folks Shop---and I've heard that have a great garden center at Avon---so maybe I do want to go! Plus I'll get to see a few of my friends we have made at the Conventions through the years, I won't have to cook, and the maid will even make my bed! I'm beginning to think I might even half way enjoy myself, if I'm not careful!

We have been going to car conventions for many years and some day I'm going to tell you about a few of our adventures. Like when we lived in Kansas and I had to drive the car pulling an empty trailer--how we have gone from a "home-made" trailer that ended up swaying in the middle from being overloaded, to pulling a 2 car trailer with a truck that makes us as long as a semi trailer! Somewhere buried in our stack of old car pictures, are stories of car shows where Bob had sideburns equal to Elvis' and I was wearing "hot pants"...to traveling with our teenagers, searching for an empty motel room in the middle of the night. We definitely have made a lot of memories...but not all of them are too sentimental.

I just realized today that even though we are traveling less than 50 miles from home, I'm going to have to pack our suitcases just like we were heading for Florida! So, I may be a little sidetracked for a while, getting ready for another memory making adventure.

Where are those old photo albums anyway???


P.S....for all of you church bloggers that are in shock---"hot pants" was a type of clothing in the 1970's!

4 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Our truck breaking down in Atlanta and you making me get in first with a complete stranger...
Trying to find the boat for our Statue of Liberty river ride...
Jenny and I making prank calls to Jeff and Jason...
Very good memories of our family "car show" vacations!
At least they always had the shows in a big town with lots to do and sight see.
Have fun in Indy!

Sheila said...

You are reminding me of memories I'd forgotten! we'll have to talk... :)

Lady J said...

Hot pants, eh? I remember those-I think. :) I'm not sure I have ever seen Bob's cars. I think I am going to Frankfort tomorrow for the Hot Dog Festival! Watch for some pictures.

Dorcas said...

Sounds to me like you've got a lot of good things planned!! I hope you have a great time even if it is close to your home :o)