Sunday, May 25, 2008

Bouquets of Roses...






If I could be there, I would place bouquets of roses on Mom & Dad's marker. But it is over 500 miles away and I won't be there, so I'll have to send bouquets in my mind. Mom probably would have preferred them to be pink. But Dad would definitely want red.


The arrangement Dad let us get for Mom!


Mom slipped away from us in May & her viewing was on Memorial Day of that year. She was surrounded with beautiful bouquets that she would have thought were way too extravagant for her. Dad was a very frugal man. But when it came to picking out the arrangement for her casket, he told us to get whatever we thought Mom would like! So we splurged with his money!

Carol & baby Parker saying goodbye to Mom

Little did we know that Dad would also slip away from us just 16 months later. As we made plans for his service, we all agreed that we wanted military rites at the graveside. The American Legion came & were so reverent & dignified. The trumpeter began to play "Taps" and then we were all surprised as another Veteran began reciting the words to the song. I'm not sure anyone there had ever
heard them before or
even knew there were such words.

Time takes some of the sharp edge of grief away, yet there is always something that will trigger a memory of the life we shared with them. I'm so thankful they are safely in the arms of their Saviour!

We were celebrating Carol's 40th birthday & decided to go have a little "visit with Mom"...not knowing that we would be returning in less than 3 weeks to let Dad lay beside her








The American Legion Veterans & the 21 gun salute





"Taps"

Day is done,
gone the sun,
from the lakes
from the hills
from the sky,
all is well,
safely, rest,
God is near.

Fading light,
Dims the night,
And a star gems the sky
Gleaming bright,
From afar,
Drawing near,
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise,
For our days,
Neath the sun
Neath the stars
Neath the sky,
As we go,
This we know,
God is near.

6 comments:

Carol said...

I'll see if I can take care of those pink roses for Mama today, Sis. We're planning on making our Memorial Day trip to the cemetery today. Today is cloudy and the forecast is calling for T-storms, but I'm going to try to find a non-rainy window of time to make our visit. Hope we can find Mom's pink roses.

Karen Walden said...

What sweet memories of Grandma and Grandpa Brown. I remember all the flowers on Grandma's grave that day! I remember going back out there before we left town to say goodbye once again! Much sooner than we had ever imagined, we were back there again to put Grandpa by his beloved companion. I don't remember quite as many flowers but I do remember those old men playing TAPS...
I still love to to go out and visit Gpa and Gma every time we come to Kansas for a visit. I only wish we were visiting them in their old brown house!!!!!

Sheila said...

Aaaah! Yes, the memories on 77th Terrace!

Carol...the flowers you did for their birthdays are probably just fine. You don't need to replace them.

We did go put new flowers on Sherry's grave on Saturday night. Bonnie no longer remembers to do it. Last year I went to the cemetery by myself and the flowers were so faded & dirty it made me cry. I went to Hobby Lobby & got some new ones & have sort of made it my secret project to replace them every once in a while. Since I can't do it very often for Mom & Dad, I do it for Sherry. I'm not sure Bob's mom & dad go out there anymore...

Carol said...

Yes, I'm planning on leaving the flowers in the vases, since they are fairly new. I'm just thinking I'll get some fresh pink roses for Mom today. I think the kids would like to do that. It's raining right now, so we may wait for a break in the weather.

5 years ago today we were having Mom's visitation. Remember how crazy that all was?

...and do you remember what we were doing 5 years ago yesterday???? Does "fixing Mom's hair" ring a bell?? : ) I about had a heart attack when I saw it had been freshly washed and conditioned and was still damp!!!!

Sheila said...

Yes. Karen & I were talking about that yesterday! She was trying to remember what we did on Sunday before the viewing on Monday. Then she remembered that we went to see Mom! Karen said she would never forget walking in & seeing Mom's hair & wondering what in the world you were going to do with it!

I think I remember the guys even doing the dishes for us that Sunday. And that sweet little lady...who is now Mrs. Poe :) brought us a turkey dinner!

Has it really be 5 years...sometimes it seems long ago, but mostly it seems like just a few months ago.

Hope you get a few raindrop free moments! :)

P.S. Sorry about the memory posts, fellow bloggers! We can't help it!

Lady J said...

Karen, I love the memory posts. I can't imagine doing Mom's hair for her funeral. You guys are braver than me and I'm a nurse and wrap those bodies! I know I have Dad's "special occassion" to experience yet. Mom will have been gone 9 years in October-doesn't seem possible. I'm glad you remember Sherry. I never knew her.