Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Do You Look Like a Grandma Too?


Last week while we were waiting for the Collingsworth Concert to begin, Parker looked me over & said "Grandma, you look like a Grandma but you really are a Mom". Well! At first I thought Parker was telling me how old I looked. Then I remembered a conversation we recently had...


We were having lunch one day when I had the Little "W's". Bob happened to be there too & Parker said to him, "Grandpa, you are my Mommy's Daddy and Grandma is my Mommy's Mom." He was just getting the concept of how we are all inter-related--probably a difficult thing for a 5 year old to figure out. Then I told him that his "Grandpa & Grandma Mother" as he refers to them (his great-grandparents) were Papa's mommy & daddy. It was like a light went off in his head! He immediately turned to me and said "so, who are your mommy & daddy". I gulped & told him it was his Grandma & Grandpa Brown, hoping I didn't have to also explain the death concept! I asked if he remembered his Grandpa Brown & he said he did, but probably just knows that is who is in a photo sitting on his dresser. Thankfully, that satisfied him & he went right on talking about something else.


Ater mulling this over, I realized Parker was really paying me a compliment in his own sweet way. He now knows I'm a "mommy", but more importantly to him, I'm Grandma! Bless his little heart....

4 comments:

Karen Walden said...

I can't believe what all he says! Someday he will say something to the wrong person and they will take it all wrong! He just was looking at my hands while I was typing and said, "Mom...your hands look really old and wrinkly! You are 34 years old!" He was as serious as could be and went right on to another topic! :)

Sheila said...

That's our Parker Man...perfectly honest & sincere!

Karen Walden said...

At least he wasn't making fun of my psoriasis!!!

Angie Davis said...

Connor reminds us of all our wrinkles and has also mentioned that I look "a little fat" these days. God bless the child... :(