Thursday, March 6, 2008

Tree Cozies!

























What would you think if you drove down the main street of your fair city & found the tree trunks wearing sweaters?



Well, if you lived in our arts-y town, that is what you would find. When I first heard about the Columbus Arts Council's idea of having a competition for the best "tree cozy"...I thought they had gone wayyyyyy out on a broken limb. But I try to have an open mind & decided to have a look at our trees in sweaters. Not bad! It sounds silly, but I'm sure if you are a knitter, you would be expressing your knitting ability in an art-sy way. So, this isn't to bad mouth our lovely city & the silly idea of putting cozies on our trees, but to let you see just what makes this city tick.


A few years ago I visited downtown Chicago & saw all kinds of silly chairs stationed on several of their streets. Their idea of expressing themselves with art was by seeing who could come up with the most whimsical chair!
And I'll never forget the crazy cows we saw in Kansas City...
So....maybe we aren't so far out with our cozy little trees. You never know what you'll find in Bartholomew County. Columbus--Unforgettable!! (By the way, that's our new city slogan. :)

You can view all of the trees at www.therepublic.com...if you care! And you can vote for your favorite. I voted for the Snowman!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! You never know what the crazy city of Colombus will do next. Kansas City has done cows, bears, etc. Kelcie and I just saw some pretty scary bunnies on the Plaza. They're old and a bit traditional, but still kind of scary. I'll have to check out the rest of the "tree cozies". Have a fun weekend.
Love,
Carol

JafaBrit's Art said...

I love it, adds a bit fun and spice to life. I liked the chairs too.

Sherry Gates said...

That is sort of neat. Lake Placid(a town close to us) has murals and their trash cans are painted. It is nice. They also have an antique thing that Bob Jr. would like....they have OLD corvettes. I was gonna buy him one but did not have that much money on me! HAHA!

Sheila said...

Carol...I remember those rabbits on the Plaza from years ago! Probably about time for Kansas City to redo them!

I just remembered that we saw the same thing in "crocodiles" in Naples, Florida a few years ago & somewhere I have pictures of them. Oh well...

I think it is just a fun thing for the cities to do.

Those trees are probably thankful for their "cozies" today. It's snowing!!!

Jenny said...

I was by myself & I don't usually go down that street, but when I saw all those I wasn't quite sure what to think. I called Wes and told him, "You're not going to believe this..."
When I was at GBS there was pigs!

Michelle said...

Lafayette has painted pigs and frogs. Very charming indeed....

Karen Walden said...

Those corny trees don't surprise me a bit with this town! You should take some pictures of the scraps of metal that they have all over town!