Thursday, March 20, 2008

A sobering thought...

My first thought when I woke up this morning was that this time next year, not only will I be a year older, but I'll be entering another decade of my life. How quickly my life is passing by!


I'm not a person that has ever let my age bother me and have never cared if you ask my age. It just sort of slapped me in the face early today...next year I really am going to be a Senior Citizen!


Today is my 59th birthday. I was also thinking about how different childbirth & baby care is today. When I was born my mother was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and that was standard procedure-- way back then! (Laughing!) Mothers were not allowed to get out of the bed for several days--I think maybe even close to a week. I remember asking my Mom why they had to stay in bed so long & she said it was so"their wombs would go back in place"! Can you imagine? Also, there were no visitors allowed except the father & grandparents & then only for a very limited time. What about that, Karen? I'm sure CRH gets those mommies right on their feet & out the door ASAP!


So, I'm trying to age gracefully-just not sure how that is working out though. And the next time a store clerk asks me if I'm a senior citizen, I'll just smile & take my discount!






....see Karen's blog if you want to see that I really haven't always been this old!

http://www.thewaldenfamily.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Cute picture of you and Grandma Brown!
Hope you had a nice Birthday and we weren't too wild at your house! I still think you should've shared the cake story with all of the bloggers!! :)

Michelle said...

Hope you had a great birthday!

Sheila said...

Karen...& April,

Thanks so much for the little birthday party. I know it was late & you were all tired, but it really did mean a lot to me that you took the time to come share my day.

You mean you didn't share the story of our "angel upside down cake"? I wasn't sure April would tell you about it!

The story goes....April & Jeff brought out a beautiuf angel food cake & strawberries for our little celebration. Jeff & April hadn't been here but a few minutes when we heard quite a crash in the kitchen! Jeff went running--& Brycen had somehow pulled the cake onto the floor. Jeff was not a happy Daddy at that moment!

April thought it was ruined, but I thought we could save it. Jeff quickly flipped it back on a new plate, I got out a fresh can of frosting, smoothed it around, put some sprinkles on top & it was as good as new! Well, almost. Jonathan was the only one that found a little piece of carpet fuzz in his piece. :(

You never know where those cakes have been!

Thanks, family of mine, for making another enjoyable memory. :)

I'll post a picture later...
I've gotta run & get groceries for our Easter Brunch!

Gene Davis said...

Just tell Jonathan that it is his fiber intake for the day.