Monday, March 14, 2011

We're Off to See The Wizard!


The last few weeks have been a little hectic around my household.
Thus...blogging has been put on hold for a while.


It seems that my wish is finally coming true
and we are in the process of re-doing our kitchen.
One day I decided to tear into the wallpaper,
steamed, stripped, chiseled, scored layers of way outdated design
and found myself in a total mess.
I casually mentioned to hubby that I really wanted to get some things done
and they needed to be finished before

May as that is when company was coming.
Glaring at me, he said "no way will that happen"
& I sweetly smiled back (well maybe not so sweetly...)
and said...

"OH YES...I HAS TO BE DONE AND WE HAVE TO GET BUSY
RIGHT NOW!!!"


And so as of this moment,
I have no functioning kitchen.
This morning everything was removed from our cabinets,
the upper cabinets were hauled to the garage,
work began reinforcing the swagging floor,
and we are to the point of no return.
It looks like we've been bombed!

I'll not bore you with the details...
but I've been busy.
In a few weeks I'll show you what we have been up to.


Meanwhile . . .

It is our daughter's birthday! 




This morning I frantically called her up to wish her a happy birthday...
and then to tell her if she was going to have a party
it was going to have to be at her house
as mine was a disaster.
I think she freaked out a little herself, but agreed to spend her day off work
preparing for her own party!

Since she is a "Dirt Cake" lover 
and would much rather have a dessert like that
than a store purchased cake,
I went over & whipped up her favorite
in her kitchen.


Our family did celebrate by having dinner at Johnny Carinos.
Thankfully, Karen was a good sport & enjoyed her day in spite of our difficulties.
Next year I promise to do better! 


And in the middle of our remodeling-
I'm leaving town!

Wednesday afternoon, I will be doing some back seat driving
and grandkid watching
as Karen, her 3 children & I travel to Kansas to visit with my sister.
Karen has been wanting to go for quite some time
so we are going out on Spring Break.
Karen was so exited to hear that the Princess Diana Exhibit
will be in town while we are there.
That is definitely on our "to do" list.
And Paige can hardly wait to go to the
American Girl Doll store!
I've even heard that there is some kind of
dinasour place that the boys might enjoy.

So for a few days
we will be "off to see the Wizard"--
in the land of Oz. . .
Kansas

Overland Park, to be exact!

By the way...
the photos are some of my favorites of Karen as a little girl.
I can't believe we just celebrated her 37th year!

3 comments:

Karen Walden said...

I can't believe how very "little" hair I had at that age and how "much" Paige has! Obviously, she doesn't take after me!

Sheila said...

I do believe you can blame your MIL for that! :) And her Daddy!

Jenny said...

Totally know how the "bomb" feeling is!! You'll feel so much better after it's all done!
Happy Birthday, Karen!