Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Good Way to get Spring Fever...




"The Secret Garden"



Spring time is my favorite time of the year. I've heard several people say that autumn is their favorite with all of the beautiful colors. But I still prefer spring. It always amazes me to see those tiny shoots of green sprouting out of the cold, damp ground after a hard winter of ice & snow. How do they survive the turmoils of winter? Thankfully, they do & soon we will see the first hints of green in our trees, the helebores will begin to leaf out & give us our first glimpse of color, daffodils will bring bursts of yellow under our trees, and then it will be tulip time.


Last week I was able to attend the Indianapolis Flower & Patio show with a friend. The gardens were beautiful! It is hard to believe that they construct all of the gardens in just a matter of a few days--bringing in trees the size that we might have in our yards, some in springtime bloom--creating streams lined with rocks & boulders that had to have been hauled in by heavy equipment--& they even built stone walls & walkways that I would love to have out my patio door!
"A River Runs Through It"








This years theme was "Hollywood", each garden taking a movie & building with that idea in mind. Now I wish I had taken more pictures. For you that were unable to attend, here are just a few snapshots.












"Father of the Bride"







This garden was designed by McNamara Florists in Indianapolis and was one of my favorites.


The pathway is full of white flower petals! All flowers in their display were different kinds of white flowers, with maybe a tinge of green. We couldn't believe what a variety there was! The columns were lined with beautiful ferns, and accented with crystal prisms & clear glass hanging votive candle holders. They were advertising for wedding receptions...way beyond my imagination!
























I forgot to notice the name of this garden but it was Mary Ann's favorite.


And last...but not least..."Hoosiers"--


complete with the barn, basketball goal & gravel driveway!







Thanks, Indianapolis, for a great gardening show--a wonderful way to spend a brisk, beautiful March day.



5 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Glad you had a friend to go with you! Not my cup of tea! It did look pretty though!!! :)

Sheila said...

I'm sure you would have been thrilled! :) Mary Ann wants to go to Streamcliff Farms when it opens. Wanna go??? Ha!

Love,
Mom

Denise said...

I went to that once a couple of years ago. I loved it!

I have visions of how I want to garden around my place.... but finding the time...............'nother story. :)

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila said...

I somehow deleted my own comment! Duh..

Denise...Sometimes it is just nice to dream. I love going on gardening tours & seeing what other people have done. But usually those ideas have to just stay in someone elses gardens. Unfortunately I have not passed the gardening bug down to Karen & she HATES going to those places. Thank goodness for friends...