Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Missouri Recipe...

Jeff Davis Pie
2 cups granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
-Mix together-
Add:
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix all ingredients together well.
Pour into unbaked pie shell & bake in a slow oven-325 degrees
for about45 minutes, until set.
Top with meringue & bake until brown
This is an old Missouri recipe that my grandmother's used to make, and later my Mom.
Somehow it slipped right over my head as a little girl growing up in central Missouri that our family had Southern roots. I had no idea who Jeff Davis was...it was just a pie!
Do you know who he was?
Google him...
I've found the story of the pie on the Internet.
Supposedly the pie was made for a dinner party by a slave girl. When asked the name of the pie, she said "Jeff Davis", out of respect to her master who was a supporter of Mr. Davis.
All references say this was a "Missouri" recipe...which makes me wonder where in Missouri it came from and how did my grandmothers end up with the recipe.
I think I'll go buy some cream and bake Bob a pie!
Guess I'm a little more Southern than I thought.

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Is this like a sugar cream pie?

Anonymous said...

Jeff Davis pie!!! YUM!!! That's something mom made quite often on Saturdays, in preparation for Sunday dinner. We all loved it! I don't have any memories of anyone else making it, other than Mom, but she always mentioned that the recipe had been passed down. I had no idea that the recipe had such "Southern" roots. I feel some pie-makin' coming on!!

Love,
Carol

Sheila said...

Peggy...

As I remember it, it is like a sugar cream pie. It calls for meringue but I don't think Mom always put it on it.

And Carol...We didn't realize what little southerners we were, did we! I haven't made one in years. I think I'll pie a pie crust thouogh... :)

Sheila

Jonathan Walden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathan Walden said...

So does the top of the pie require a confederate flag design?
Just wondering, you know I have deep southern roots too?!

Sherry Gates said...

YUM! I might have to try this. Too bad I am computer illiterate then I might not have to write it down!